New discovered winery: Sans Liege

Have tried only 2 of their wines and have to say that I am impressed.

First one was the 08 Marsanne, can’t remember the details but it was excellent. $20

Second, the 07 The Pickpocket Grenasche, just super duper fruity wine, quite complex at a very early age. $30

I still have to try their GSM. $22

Otto

Otto, have had a one of their whites at Palate Food + Wine in Glendale. I don’t think it was a straight Marsanne (more like a Marsanne/Rousanne blend) but it was great QPR.

Just tried the 2007 En Gedi Grenache and it was awesome!!!

I just signed up for their wineclub a couple of months ago and am expecting my first shipment; I am quite excited to try my first wines from them. Their prices seem fair, and the packaging is very cool.

I have exchanged emails with Curt and he seems like a very enthusiastic winemaker.

Just got the mailer. Did you guys see the alcohol levels on these?

Yeah, I just looked at the 2007 Pickpocket Grenache and …16.2%.

But it was not noticible on the nose or palate. Amazing combination of black and red fruit and flowers. (roses and violets)

I think it was the white blend at 17.1% that jumped out. Good to hear they are balanced though. Sounds like you’d recommend the Grenache blend as a starting point?

Anthony, I really enjoyed the white Rhone blend. But then, The Pickpocket was fantastic. I bought 3 more bottles and should open another one soon to see if I should just clean up the place! [help.gif]

I put in for a mixed case of the club order. Very interested to try these out. I’m disappointed that all those '07’s are sold out.

Had my first Sans Liege bottle last weekend, the MMVII/MMVIII Prophetess. 56% 2007, 44% 2008 Mourvedre mix. Popped and poured. Very young. Closed nose, very ripe fruit, but balanced with acidity and a plush-tannic structure. A huge winner. Probably should have decanted, but didn’t plan ahead.

Just saw that the Spring release came out to club members. Surprised no one has chimed in yet.