Never had Cahors

Some would say they more loosely track Bordeaux, which isn’t so far to the north.

Yes…certainly not the Rhone Valley is comparable vintage wise, though…there is often a uniformity of great French vintages…surprisingly. But, to evaluate the Dordogne wines…you need to know the vintage weather pretty specifically, I think. And, the further south one gets in France, the less vintage differences are as important, IMO. This is not only because of the sunnier climates as one goes south, but also because the prices for different vintages don’t really change that much from vintage to vintage…south of Chateauneuf on the east…and…south of Bordeaux on the west.

Yes - the Vigouroux family own HAUT-SERRE - the '04 should be very good in a couple of years - the wines tend to be a bit lean in youth - so pick up a few bottles, taste one and lay the rest down for another 6-7 years -

The family used to (maybe still do?) produce a Tannat Nouveaux called GOULEYANT(?) that was absolutely delicious in it’s youth - Not sure if it’s available in the US -

The CA importer Charles Neal does a great job with wines* from SW France generally, and I find the values are excellent too.

• and Armagnac

I had a bottle of the 07’ matayac while in Paris and it was stellar? I was shocked an it was something like 5euro.

Thanks, I have three bottles on order (corrupted by WB yet again). I’m holding shipping until November since they’re coming from NJ. If I love it when they arrive, I’ll hope there is still more in stock.

Thanks everyone for the advice and direction. I’m going to hunt around locally for a few others recommended here.

By coincidence, I was served a 95 Ch. Montus tonight. It was tough sledding. There was a trace of something that might be mistaken for a Medoc from '94 or '99. But it was very rustic and not terribly complex.

A friend of mine was very enthused by Madirans back in the late 90s and I tried a bunch, new and old back then. I never had one that made me want to go buy them, and nothing changed tonight.

Agreed. He’s made a real specialty of wines from the South-West.

Man do I love Armagnac. Sadly the availability has gone down and the price of good examples risen sharply over the years.

I agree that the higher-end bottlings tend to have some international flavors to them (especially with all the oak), but after a few years everything kind of settles down and integrates nicely (for the most part).

Personally, I’m somewhat of an oakaphobe, so I like the basic cuvees. And I love what Malbec does in the region, especially the truly old-vine stuff (75+ years old). Though young-vine Malbec can be fun and easy to drink too.

I will say I love love love Tannat from Irouleguy, though that’s far south of Cahors and getting off-track.

3 words:
Cedre Cedre Cedre

Isn’t that one word?

I agree about Montus - have had multiple vintages of the reserve and regular bottlings and they are just too much wood for me - I tend to love the Madirans from the smaller houses that mix up their barrels a bit - there is just something about the spice a wine gets from an old barrel that just can’t be duplicated - I remember tasting a negociant Madiran years ago from a small grower whose upright barrels were reaching 70-80 years old - it wasn’t a big wine at all, but absolutely delicious -

I’m not sure about other markets, Michael, but specialty spirits as a category is booming in CA, and there are a lot of good Armagnacs available. K&L’s spirits buyer, David Driscoll, is excellent.

Regarding Madiran: I think Montus’s wines from the 90s are very nice; a proper bottle of 1995 especially so, though I’ve had quite a bit of variation with them. Time will tell with more recent vintages, though I have felt that the 2004 has always showed well. Among other domaines, I really, really like Chateau d’Aydie, and enjoy the wines of Labranche-Laffont, Laffont, Berthoumieu, and the defunct Perron.

Great thread. Reminds me that despite its many failings, the liquor monopoly here in Quebec has a very good selection of regional French wines, including 50+ different Cahors. My experience with Cahors is not extensive, but like several posters I prefer more basic versions to premium cuvees - e.g. the basic Cedre bottling to Le Cedre.

Drinking a 2012 Gouleyant by the Vigouroux family right now with a grilled panini with cured meats and rich cheeses. No reference to a “Tannat Nouveaux” but it is 100% Malbec from Cahors. This is a very serious effort. Dark and brooding, full-bodied. Chewy tannins, and behind that, a nice mix of spicy red and dark plummy fruits. Very primary, fleshy, some earth and tar showing, but really a lot of wine for $10.99. Would pair well with rich foods. A cool find for everyday wine drinking. Say 86-87 pts.

John, was this the regular bottling or was it the Prestige?