Needing help with May trip to Spain and France

Well however you do it, have a great time!

Just for another unsolicited $0.02 - I think spending too much of a trip to Europe focused on wine tasting is a bit of a waste. There is so much else to do, culture, sight seeing, etc.

But then again I don’t know how much other time you have spent in Paris, etc.

Not going to Paris - Jen’s been there, and hated it, and I don’t care to go at this point in my life.

We’re focusing on Spain for about half (not wine tasting, just hanging out and seeing the sights, eating at restaurants, etc) and Champagne for the other half, and that’s when we’ll do wine tasting.

BTW, I am thankful for all the replies thus far. I’m sure this trip, and many like it, have been done thousands of times by folks here.

100% agree. We spent a lot of time at the cathedral in Reims, which, to me, is more majestic than Notre Dame in Paris. You don’t want to feel like you have to rush to a wine tasting.

And, frankly, unless you have arranged a special tour, one or two tours of the Champagne houses is plenty. I loved Taittinger’s. Buy a bottle from one of the shops and just drink it somewhere beautiful.

No Paris, at all, unless we have to fly out of there for some reason to get back to Madrid for the return flight.

I look forward to the Cathedral in Reims, for sure. At present we’ve got Krug, planning for Ruinart after lunch, and working on Dom Perignon, with Taittinger already setup (thanks to Connie!). That should leave another day if needed, with plenty of options.

Still not sure how to get from Spain to Reims, but I guess train is best, even though it takes 9-10 hours. Not finding much luck with air travel between those areas

Good on you if you got a tour/tasting with Krug.

Hated Paris???!!! Sacrebleu! :wink:

I think he must have misspoke. Hard for me to understand how anyone could not love Paris. We were just there, and I’m already hankering to get back.

I haven’t been there. Jen was not impressed the two times she was there. We’ll enjoy it when we are Dietz’s age, I’m sure. [cheers.gif]

I haven’t rented a car in Europe in a few years, but last time we did, they required an International Drivers License. Not sure if that applies anymore, but if you go that route, check to make sure.
They are relatively easy to get through AAA.

Not in Spain. I rented thru Pepe Car. Very reasonable for a van.

This trip does not seem feasible without private jet unless you are allowing for a full travel day in between the days quoted. Your ratio of being there to getting there is one to on.

I’m not sure who required it, but I never had it in the last 10 times I rented in Europe (Italy, France, Switzerland, Slovenia)

It’s looking like we’re more likely to spend a few days in Madrid, train to Barcelona for a day, fly to Paris, rent a car and go to Champagne

Can’t recall the company, but it was in Munich.

Incomprehensible!

Like I noted above, I’ve been 6 times as an adult and still am not doing seeing the city and surrounds. Paris is amazing, beyond compare.

More sensible (although still one more destination I would recommend in that time; I’d skip Barcelona and do another stop outside Paris, like Giverney or Versailles (if Paris was off limits)). Nothing against Barcelona but it’s one less schlep.

The biggest issue is the distance between all the areas. I understand you don’t have many chances to do trips like this, however you might be trying to do too much in one go. Hit Madrid, then Reims/Champagne, giving yourselves more time in each place to soak in the culture (heck, the museums in Madrid alone will keep you busy for a few days, and eating in the Mercado San Miguel and other tapas joints will take up time).

The trip is taking shape, pending a change in our return flight. Iberia cancelled our return flight, and moved us a day earlier, so I was able to ask if they can change it to leave from Paris, instead, which would make things MUCH easier. The tentative trip is based on that change, so we’re hopeful.

Arrive in Madrid 5/15, attend bullfighting festival activities in Madrid, train to San Sebastian on 5/17 for 3 nights. Airport transfer service to Biarritz (pending approved pricing - we got some ridiculous quotes, and the train/bus service from San Sebastian to Biarritz includes either multiple trains or multiple trains and buses), fly to Paris on the 20th, rent car and drive to Reims. Our Champagne tasting goes through the next 3 days, then we return to Paris and spend a couple days there, then fly home.

Glad to see it is taking shape. If you want to avoid driving in and around Paris, you can take the train to Reims. There are car rental agencies right next to the station entrance/exit, including Avis, which you can book stateside.