Need Suggestions - Grenache (update!)

I like Grenache, in fact prefer it to Bordeau these days. Generally, I lean toward a GSM blend such as Vacqueyras or Cote du Rhone. But we have been exploring Garnachas these days. I found a very pleasant Priorat worth mentioning, La Cartuja Priorat 2015. Good value, too at about $15. Well balanced, not strongly fruity.

Sure it´s great, but I doubt it is more than 60% Grenache (variable due to the vintage), the rest is Counoise, Cinsault, Syrah and even Merlot !
Also the Vacqueyras is only close to 80-90& Grenache.
[shug.gif]
Also hard to find a Gigondas (or Cairanne or Rastau) with 100% Gr. under 30,-

Thanks Gerhard, I thought you might contribute the details on that. It is excellent though, and a good value even at the price we see it here. I really didn’t think it was pure Grenache.

The Vacqueyras at 80-90% is still going to be higher in percentage than many domestic versions labeled as “grenache” but the Vacqueyras is going to be more than $30 in the US.

+1 - this is a really good Grenache - don’t know about current pricing though. Cheers!

If you can find Chateau des Tours CDR (as opposed to the Domaines des Tours VdP) in the US for under $30, please let me know where. It is typically around $40. And the Vacqueyras is around $70.

I don’t think anyone said it could be found for that price. I suggested the Vaucluse which I’ve found in the low $20s before, and Gerhard mentioned that the Vacqueyras had a higher percentage of grenache. I forgot that there were three wines though. I’ve seen the CdR and VdP locally (though I think the CdR was over $50 here) but never the Vacqueyras. I’ve only bought the least expensive of the three but really enjoyed it. I seem to remember someone mentioning in the past though that these are very inexpensive if purchased in France.

I’ll say it again: Ocelli Cellars. Here’s the order page: http://www.ocellicellars.com/shop-1/2013-columbia-valley-grenache

100% Grenache. $30 retail. Has a couple of years’ age on it.

Real bargains in France. The VDP is around 9 Euros, the CDR 14 or so and the Vacqueyras 25 or 27. Those are steep prices if you compare the CDR to all other CDRs or the Vacqueyras to all other Vacqueyrases, but in terms of QPR, they are quite impressive. The mark-up here is a little bit stunning.

VDP 8,75 € (2014)
CDR 13,50 (2014)
Vacq 26,- (2011)
all off domaine - incl. VAT!

[cheers.gif]

Celler Capcanes Cabrida Garnatxa Vinyes Velles

Investigate Australia looks like both the Hentley Farm Old Legend and the Kalleske Old Vines are over your $30 limit but perhaps a mixed case discount could solve that problem?

Chateau de Saint Cosme Little James’ Basket Press

100%

Really appreciate all the responses and insight. I can always count on this place when I have a wine need!

Many of the options I’m excited to track down but for this particular tasting, a number are out based on availability and price point.

I’m down to the below two wines, different styles and very different regions…I’ll be taste testing this evening prior to choosing which will be the go ahead for tomorrow night’s festivities.

2014 Yangarra McLaren Vale Old Vine (Australia)

2015 Alto Moncayo Veraton (Spain)

Thanks again! [cheers.gif]

Let us know how the event goes, and good luck!

In his prices range I’d second your recommendation of Sans Liege. 2010 and 2015 Chateau St. Cosme is another good option.

Larry reserves the marketing rights to the notes, allows justification to increase the price.

How was the Grenache event?

Yangarra is a quiet overachiever for inexpensive and higher volume Aussie reds. That probably would have been a great option for this particular event and intention.

Sorry for delay in update but very happy to report out of the 12 different wines included in the tasting, we (I say we since it was technically a group WB effort) came home the winner!

I went with the 2015 Alto Moncayo Veraton (Spain) option although I do agree with Chris above that the Yangara would have been a nice option as well. We narrowly escaped with the win with 5 total 1st place votes and two others had 4 each (need to go back into the notes to see what those were).

Thanks to Sean Malloy & Nathan Smyth for the winning suggestion! DM your address and I’ll stick one of the loser take-home Grenache bottles to each of you. [winner.gif]

Would love to get a list of the other wines poured, my friend.