Need Help Killing Michigan Anti-Shipping Bill

Yes, Indiana is not exactly the ideal place to try to ship wine.

What exactly does quite restrictive mean? Would it be possible to ship to a Fed Ex/Kinkos and pick it up there?

Indiana is not the most open of states to have wine shipped in. It is possible if the retailer ships to Indiana, but most don’t.

Got it, thanks!

Agree with Pat B. Indiana is tough. Some retailers will ship but most won’t. Looks like Michigan is going to get sued again…and lose again. Morons.

JD

Rather than being the guy that asks 1000 questions here, where is a good place for me to watch to stay updated on this?

Unless you all love answering my elementary questions regarding the issue.

As long as this remains law, I will not give Michigan State distributors a single cent of my money. All in state alcohol purchases from me will stop until this law is repealed. I will only purchase wine and beer from out of state, and LEGALLY either ship it to myself or pick it up myself. This means I will have to cease supporting local retailers, local wines and beers, and even social drinking at restaurants.

Just my way of protesting.

You should definitely be able to use Vinfolio / Stagecoach (or other third party shipper of your choice), or Domaine. I’m currently trying to find out more about Domaine as they have that whole shenanigans with the owner, but I think they will be useable.

Of course that’s going to cost extra time and money, but if you weigh that with time and travel costs, it may be worth it.

It may be possible to ship to a Domaine location, then have them forward it to their Chicago location, and then pick it up yourself from Chicago. Domaine is supposed to have temperature controlled shipping from site to site, but again it’s going to cost extra.

The huge bummer on top of this of course is beer, since I don’t believe Vinfolio or Domaine will handle beer. MANY of the craft beers I like are either not available or always out of stock, and I order out of state. If there’s no one that will handle beer, then that means Michigan retailers only for beer unless traveling to get them. (And in my case since I’m boycotting Michigan retailers that isn’t an option. [head-bang.gif])

Good blog write up from Tom Wark (poster of this thread and Executive Director of The National Association of Wine Retailers):

This needs to be repealed in Illinois and Missouri as well, as those lawsuits are already under way.

Lawsuit filed!

http://nawr.org/new-lawsuit-aimed-at-michigan-ban-on-wine-retailer-shipping-again/

As a recent transplant to Indiana, I feel your pain. Good luck, I hope common sense prevails.

Some updates:

According to the following article:

The Michigan law does not go into effect until March 29, 2017.

What I find very alarming in the above article is the following text (bolding by me):

"While the US Courts of Appeals for the Second and Eighth Circuits have interpreted Granholm to apply only to differential treatment of producers and products (and not to wholesalers and retailers), the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals recently struck down as unconstitutional Texas residency requirements burdening out-of-state wholesalers and retailers. The Texas Package Stores Association appealed to the Supreme Court based on the apparent “circuit split” created by the Fifth Circuit’s decision. Although the Supreme Court denied certiorari in November 2016, differing outcomes in the currently pending suits could ultimately bring the issue of wine direct-shipping back to the Supreme Court, providing an opportunity for much-needed clarification of Granholm’s scope.

There is a very real possibility that the lawsuits the NAWR have filed will fail, since some courts have already ruled that Granholm does not apply to retailers.

Even if the law is overturned as discriminatory, there would be a great chance (in my opinion) that MI then halts all retail shilping in order to protect the three tier system. It is my understanding that the Granholm decision was basically that MI could not discriminate between in state and out of state wineries.

That’s what they did in 2005, at least I thought. They said Michigan wineries could only deliver using their own trucks and couldn’t use a common carrier. But there were plenty of out of state wineries that I was still able to order from for direct shipping via UPS/FedEx, so I’m not sure what was going on there.