need help finding the right Syrah/shiraz

Totally agree with this post, Chris.

As a variety, syrah trends below pinot and cabernet price wise. I’ve been happy to taste some of the best examples in the world in the low 3 digits. Chave Hermitage, La Chappelle, Allemand, Clape, Jamet, Guigal, Penfolds, Henschke, SQN, Cayuse, etc. come to mind. Rayas flirts higher, and there are rare old bottles (Gentaz, Verset, Cuvee Cathelin) that command Burg-like pricing, but on average, syrah tends to be a variety where even a new wine drinker can access some of the greats.

Check out Tercero’s lineup of Syrah. Especially Larner Vineyard, my personal favorite.

I agree with this in part. That said, K Vintners’ The Beautiful Syrah (Powerline Vineyard) and Milbrandt Vineyard Syrah aren’t overly savory. The former is from a vineyard that isn’t in the Rocks District, and Milbrant isn’t either. Both provide ample fruit (which the OP is seeking) but with good Syrah character. The Beautiful is a bit over $50, but Milbrandt is under $40.

I like both and assent that those are on the cleaner side of their lineup. Frankly, the MCK in 2015 was utterly fantastic at $30.

Zaca Mesa has been on closeout locally the last few weeks. Found the estate Syrah for sub $15. I believe it is normally in the low $20’s. It is fantastic and would recommend.

Why no love for Gigondas? I’m a St. Damien fan. <$40 for the designated bottlings. Maybe on the fruitier side but so delicious. The rose is fantastic too.

Cheers,
fred

That might be a good recommendation, but it’s not Syrah…

Primarily because the OP wants something similar to Darioush Syrah. Most (all?) Gigondas aren’t a good comparison.

+1 (based on OP’s descriptions) on K Vintners (non-Rocks), Tensley and Carlisle. Cheers!

Unsure of what your access is, but you might try some from Western Australia/Margaret River.