Need for wine foil?

Imagine bringing a bottle like that to a fancy restaurant dinner, having assumed it were an easy to deal with wax.

I’ve seen Raveneau bottles open at a casual restaurant, bit of a mess. Nice moment to have a Somm who can take it away to open.

-Al

I opened a 1995 Herman Ludes Riesling tonight, and when I took the (plastic) foil off, the cork fell into the wine. The wine itself is beautiful with no oxidation whatsoever. This isn’t the first time the capsule has saved an older bottle for me, so I won’t object to their use on long-haul bottles. Anything meant to be opened within 10 years doesn’t need the foil.

I have not done this but have read for Dunn type wax to soften with heat like a cigar torch.

It’s best use these days is to make foil hats to keep you safe from aliens, right? [snort.gif] neener [soap.gif]

Yep, especially those shape-shifting lizard people plotting with Justin Bieber, Bill Gates, and George Soros to use 5G for world domination.

-Al

Glad Soros was finally brought up regarding foil. I’m sure he and Alcoa are in bed together ensuring capsules on all our bottles. Wake up sheeple.

Yesterday, a bottle slipped from the top of my rack and fell to the concrete floor below (about 4ft) , but only a few drops were spilled. How so? It landed top down and the foil capsule allowed for the glass under the capsule to crack, but not be displaced.

Capsules: good for something?

Still shaking my head 3 yrs later over Wes’ “gutless lemmings” quote above.

Last year I visited a winery that keeps back a lot of bottled wine, they said that cork moths are a very real threat. The grubs can eat holes right through cork. (They said it was the same species as the clothes moth.) They have pheromone traps to check. Capsules would be a barrier against these moths. I suppose this only affects wines that are supposed to be aged.

Mo Ayoub is stuck on wax capsules. I have asked him why and he says it is a good look. I think they are just a pain in the ass to chip off.

1 Like

I’ve opened a handful of older bottles where the cork was fully saturated and the capsule was seemingly the only thing keeping it sealed… not sure how good of a seal it proves though.

1 Like