Naples and Almafi Coast

One one drive up to Ravello from Amalfi, I had to back to make room for a bus coming around a curve. My wife, in the passenger seat, freaked out. The cliff was on her side of the car.

That must have been fun. My favorite was when our bus and another bus in the other direction almost met head to head, and the logistics involved to get the buses to continue their journeys.

Never been there, but Southern Italy is very different than Northern. It just depends on what is important to you and how adventurous you want to be.

I once drove from Sorrento, our 1st week base in Amalfi Coast, all the way to Lecce in Puglia. 6+ hours, iirc. Stopped for lunch at Matera in Basilicata … an amazing and very beautiful town that’s straight out of a movie set (actually used to shoot a Jesus Christ movie by Mel Gibson).

Puglia is not finer and is definitely a more rugged landscape, when compared to Amalfi areas. But the pretty white-washed villages by the hill-top or by the shores make you feel like you’re in Greece. Plus the “Star Wars” style trulli houses in Alberobello is an amazing contrast. Also, to fuel any of your architectural whims, Lecce is a completely baroque-architecture town. A beautiful town. Food in Puglia is also more rustic, agriculture-based and completed with simply-prepared fish dishes. Even their olive oil tastes slightly different and more rustic, but still nice.

I was quite shocked when we hired a car at the airport in Rome last summer. They asked us where we were taking the car and stressed that we needed to take various security measures if we were going south rather than north! When we said we were going to Orvieto they relaxed immediately and said we’d be fine.

Sometimes those buses can’t make the curve (miss the line) and have to back down some and try again!

I think this is the little restaurant in Pontone with the family wines.

Ha! We went there 3 times in 1990, every time something was accidentally (on purpose) left off the bill by Netta. On the final night she latched onto the fact that the 3 girls and the 3 guys had a minor falling out. She presented 2 bills, one to the girls and one to the guys. Theirs consisted solely of (IIRC) their starters & mains. Ours consisted of our starters, mains, dessert, the wines and I think we were lucky to avoid a surcharge! We took it in good spirit and learnt a life lesson. She was a wonderful hostess Netta. I presume the sons are fully in charge there now. On our last visit (maybe 7-8 years ago) she seemed to be there in a mostly presidential capacity.

We were there three years ago and Netta had pretty firm command of the room.

She was still in charge last Fall. Sweet lady. She gave me two extra helpings of pasta. I must have looked too skinny for her.

This is great. Got loads of info.

@Todd Hamina - No worries. You have asked a lot of good questions.

my wife just added Capri to the trip. We might even stay there…argh!!! Sounds very expensive. Got any suggestions reasonable priced hotels with good views in Capri? I might be asking a lot here.

If you want to stay in a quieter place try Marina del Cantone. It’s beautiful the road ends there not much trafic and less known. There is also some great dining like this Home | Taverna del Capitano
You can take a small private boat with a driver (not expensive) that takes you to Capri in less than 30 minutes and takes you to good swimming places.
Also one of the best restaurants in Italy, definitely my favourite one is nearby, Don Alfonso

We stayed at HOTEL EXCELSIOR PARCO a few years ago. Not sure how it is price range but they do have a driver who picks you up from the ferry and will drive you to the main town. And a decent breakfast too.

IMO you need to stay in Capri to really appreciate it. Way different vibe and feel once the day trippers leave.

It makes a huge difference once the crowds leave. It’s quite beautiful. An alternative is to take a boat over, fight the crowds to the seggiovia (chair lift) to the top of Monte Solaro on the island and/or take a bus to Anacapri (which is also up the mountain and is an alternative for hotels ), which is much quieter (a tour of Villa San Michele is great), returning to Capri after 4 pm, when Capri begins to slow down. Then a nice dinner and a water taxi back to where you are staying.

Hi Vamsi
Four days leaves very little time, so you will need a very clear view on priorities. This is not a region to try and fit two destinations in a day, and it positively rewards a leisurely approach.

As you have mentioned Napoli and Capri, then that is plenty for four days, and I wiuld personally go for three days on Capri, and Napoli being mostly there to ease travel logistics, e.g. if leaving early on the last day, spend the last night in Napoli and buy some wine there. It is a very vibrant city, that some, me included, find very intimidating. If you love bustle, intimacy and edginess, then Napoli may well appeal.