Napa vs. Bordeaux Tasting Advice

I am hosting a Napa vs. Bordeaux wine tasting for non-geeks. I’m planning 4 head-to-head flights. The goal is to teach them generally about Napa vs. Bordeaux, so they can take away if they have a preference. These are all wines on I have on hand, and curious for any opinions (particularly on the 1988 Montelena). The tasting is coming up shortly, so I don’t really have too much time to make swaps. Quick question: should older Napa be decanted for air or just sediment?

I’m least sure of the “$200 Mature” flight. I’ve enjoyed 1996 LB and find it to be a mature example of Bordeaux, but not rising to the heights of my favorite older Bordeaux (and perhaps being a bit riper/green?). I could do 1989 Ducru instead (which I haven’t had) in the similar price range. I have no idea on the Napa example… 1988 Montelena is a brand name, but the CT notes aren’t particularly enthusiastic.

Young value (~$100): 2016 William Mary Propietary Blend vs. 2019 Haut Bailly [double decanted in AM]
==> Expecting the Haut Bailly to show more tobacco

Young high (~$200): 2016 Greer vs. 2019 Montrose [double decanted in AM]
==> Expecting Greer to show bigger and Montrose more red fruited/floral/fresher

Mature value (~$100): 2001 Leoville Poyferre ($125) vs 1990 Hanzell ($95) [double decanted in PM]
==> Expecting Leoville Poyferre to show very light

Mature higher (~$200): 1996 Lynch Bage vs. 1988 Montelena [double decanted in PM]
==> Expecting LB to show a little riper, but mature with tobacco
==> Not sure re the Montelena, but I figure more earthy version of Napa? Classic well known name as well

2 Likes

Just from my own personal preferences and very small scale experimentation, I’d give them about an hour or two of air. Sounds like a fun experiment, I’d be curious at the results

For the older bottles, both Napa and Bordeaux, I like to slow ox for like three hours. Just open the bottle and no decanting.
But for the younger wines, I would decant several hours ahead.

3 Likes

I think it’d be interesting to throw in a pairing that contrasted a very modern, ripe, silky St Emilion with a more classically styled Napa Cabernet/Bordeaux blend. I think it’s a great opportunity to show that neither is a monolith and that one can quite easily confuse the two.

1 Like

I thought of that, but felt that would be Tasting 2.0. I’d like to leave some parting knowledge at this tasting, that isn’t overly confusing!

What classically styled blend would you recommend? Is the montelena not fitting that description?

Sent using Zoho Mail

You have ten years more on the Napa wines than the Bordeaux. Why would you do that? They will be very different. Better to have wines of the same or similar vintages.

1 Like

Non Wine people? Throw a Caymus in there and watch it be WOTN.

1 Like

I would decant the Montrose so far in advance. When I’ve had it, it was pretty much ready to go on pnp, continued to deepen for 4 hours, and on day 2 was a bit more closed.

Also, since I’ve had HB wipe the floor with many more expensive bordeaux, that may be an unfair comparison!!

Older Caymus cost a premium!

2 Likes

No problem with the Montelena. Agreed that such a comparison could wait until the next time :slight_smile: I would probably do something with about 10 years on it.

1 Like

I meant the 2020. New wine people often appreciate sweet jammy somewhat artificial wines.

Depending on how “non-geek” you are talking, I would suggest reconsidering your value/high end cutoff. For most people who are not in this hobby, $100 is already well in to the high end. 100 vs 200 is less value vs high end and more shockingly expensive vs “are you insane?!”

If your goal is to get people who regularly drink meomi to expand their range, $50 vs $200 might be more realistic.

Regardless, sounds like a great evening of wines. Enjoy!

1 Like

I seem to remember reading that Ducru had a lot of cork issues in some of the 80s vintages. Can’t remember if it was resolved by 89–anyone with better info?

Exactly. It’s supposed to be fun, not overwhelming. Often with tastings like this you’ll pick up particular areas of interest in discussion as you taste with the group that can lead to what they’d like to explore next. You can’t always anticipate that.

I did this 10 years ago and it was really fun. For of the ballot I asked do you think this is a California wine or a French wine. Then how would you rate it 1st to 6th with the others.

all the wines were decanted into a relatively cheap identical carafe to make sure they were blind.

https://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=15082&searchId=B59DCA63%23selected%253DW96138_1_K1c666c84e3433beb5378af3ec9d068b3&UISource=list

By the way, the 2002 Mouton Rothschild has completely turned around at a recent tasting. I think it was just in the worst of dumb phases.

Haven’t tasted myself so can’t confirm, but I have a fleeting thought that it might’ve been something like 1986 to 1989, or maybe into early 1990’s.

And IIRC they didn’t have cork problems but instead a systemic TCA problem in the winery.

Great correction and reminder. Unfortunately still can’t remember the thread, but it was something about the paint in the cellars was leeching off a compound similar to TCA, and posters suggested Ducru denied any flaw until years later.

May be this one you’re thinking of:

https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/ducru-beaucaillou-1989/