Napa trip questions

I have to say that Bouchon gets a big pass from me. Serve your FOS with onions for a start and cook your signature Steak Frites to my desired doneness.

As to Bottega, I think that ship has sailed. A couple years ago when Chiarello opened it, it was the shit in Napa for Italian Food. Now, I fear success has made both him and his staff complacent with no need to innovate or provide Michelin Star service. While the food was good to very good on my last visit, I got a bad vibe on the whole scene.

I sometimes pour at the Bank Bar in the Verasa Napa. The food comes out of the La Toque kitchen and is fantastic in a more casual setting. They have a Duck Burger that was the tops when they used to put big slabs of Foi on top. They do French regional menu that changes weekly that is excellent.

Lunch - Tayor’s Refresher/Gott’s/whatever they call it now or if you want an indoor sitdown (fancy) place then Rutherford Grill

In the valley del Dotto is known as del blotto.

Keep in mind the geography. Napa and Sonoma are not the same (see Holdredge’s post from a few days ago). On a Saturday it’s an hour’s drive from north to south in Napa Vly. Sonoma, Healdsburg, etc. are farther though the town of Sonoma could be on your way back to SF.

Dinner – Redd, Bistro Jeanty (great dinner spot, fantastic lunch spot), or Tra Vigne Pizzeria if you want casual. Rutherford Grill is an in-betweener with pretty good food and a very “happening” atmosphere - a lot of local wine biz people here. Cole’s is a great steak house if that’s what you’re in the mood for.

You are going to get A LOT of wine at Del Dotto. Big crowd, big noise, and big fun if that is what you are into.
If you have a lot of targets in Napa, you can’t hit any Sonoma wineries in the same day unless you hit some in Carneros on the way in.

We go 2-4 times a year. I would take Cindy’s Backstreet Kitchen over Mustards. Same owner but more advernturous menu. Campfire pie for desert. Yum. Tre Vigne (not the pizzeria) for lunch. The fresh buffalo mozzarella and the fig pizza cannot be missed. If you only have time for a quick lunch, Guini’s deli in St Helena is a must. Gotts is great but on Saturday will have a long wait. Redd and Bouchon are tastey but not that different than what you can do in SF.

Wineries depend on appointments and what lists you are on. I would take Jean up on his AO invite. Great wines and a beautiful winery. Montelena is a fabulous property but the tastings leave you disappointed. Del Dotto is an experience place. You learn more about how oak changes the wine but you will then be wasted for the rest of the day. So many good boutique wineries it is hard to go to the big places. If you are going as far north as Ch. Boswell then go to Failla for Pinot next door. Appointments necessary for both. If you are on the Realm list or Bevans, they both are housed at Boswell. All solid wine. In that same area others rave about Larkmead. I’ve never been. If Mike Smith can see you, that is some good juice.

Someone mentioned Hendry. That is a nice tour.

Lots of choices for just a day.