Napa Trip - October 2017

What’s with all the Domaine Carneros hate? They make enjoyable sparkling that is ready to drink upon release and are much easier to get into than Schramsberg on short notice. Complaining about fruit flies is a bit unfair, I don’t think I have tasted at a single winery without fruit flies if you visit one around harvest. Any interest in going to Sonoma? I can think of a few places to fit the gap, Smith-Madrone for an excellent small producer or Lokoya if you have a lot to spend.

Fruit flies are okay, but they was just excessive at Carneros. Considering they didn’t clean a single table throughout my visit, it wasn’t surprising. Also, I don’t find their sparkling to be any good, especially at the price point. Just buy a Roederer Estate Brut for $20 and drink it at Carneros. You likely find that more enjoyable. :wink:

It’s a long drive from Dom Carneros to Schweiger even when the roads are clear. On a Saturday, it’ll likely take an hour or more. If your hearts and livers are set on those two places at those times, I’d recommend you just stop for lunch somewhere along the way. Pack some champagne (cuz no corkage is great), flutes, and sides to go along with a bucket of Thomas Keller’s fried chicken at Addendum in Yountville (easily ordered ahead online), and enjoy an al fresco experience in their outdoor picnic area.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

if you were looking to be in the vicinity of Chandon, would highly recommend Keever.

Just a tad snarky here. I live out here and have been visiting wineries in the Napa Valley since 1982 (when all tastings, including heavy hitters like Diamond Creek and Chateau Montelena) were free. True then, true now;
do not plan to visit too many wineries per day as I found that rushing around was not fun. Also be aware that once you are up on Spring Mountain it would be unwise, IMO, to pack in visits to other areas. I’ve gone off on
Pride Mountain, but that’s just me. Keenan screwed me royally back in those days and I never buy a bottle from them, Neal did not show up for my appointment, so ditto, for me as well. You can do so much better. If you want to visit more than one Mountain AVA, I could do without Howell. Though if you can score an appointment at Forman, by all means go. Do not give in, in a moment of weakness (again, IMO), to Del Dotto. I do not remember your full itinerary, but I do heartily recommend Shafer and Joseph Phelps.

Boy, what a bunch of really of obnoxious responses. This was not exactly the first winery I have ever visited. I realize it is tough when someone does not like one of your favorite wineries, but try dealing with it as an adult.

On this visit, other wineries we visited were Stony Hill, Forman and Ridge. IMHO, the wines were better and the tours were more informative at all these places.

Thanks. I did Phelps the last two years and thoroughly enjoyed it. I’ll look into Shafer.

For what it’s worth, my thoughts are somewhat similar (though I do think the wines were great). The tasting was a bit pricey for what you get, you need to spend something like $300 to waive the tasting fee, and you don’t get much in little extras (brief looks into the fermentation tank room, dialogue was pretty standard and PR-friendly). Still walked away with a bunch of wine, but if I could taste the wines elsewhere, I’d much prefer it than returning to the winery. But then again, I did not have any sort of “in” with the tasting room staff in terms of a friend or friend of a friend – I’m sure that would help a lot.