Napa recs for lover of cooler climate wines

Took a drive from Sonoma over the hill through Mount Veeder a year ago. Very shady and cool through out the AVA and quite damp in January also. Id look at some offerings from there

Corison and Pilcrow would be my top two picks for this. To the North, some of the Stonestreet wines in the $50-100 range are also impressively restrained and pretty in style while still having that ripeness of fruit.

Noah, I see some great recommendations here for Di Costanzo, Togni, Frog’s Leap. I would add two classics from “cooler” appellations in the south of Napa Valley. Tom Farella’s own wines, Farella, from the Coombsville vineyard and Anthony Truchard’s wines, Truchard Vineyards, from the family’s vineyard in Carneros. Tom Farella led the application process for Coombsville to be approved several years ago as the newest appellation in Napa Valley. He’s incredibly knowledgeable and sometimes has library wines to offer. Truchard Vineyards is run by the second generation…it’s a complex vineyard spanning the rolling hills of Carneros. A lot of the fruit goes to other great producers in Napa but the family keeps some for their own label. Both of these producers represent the counter argument to some of the narratives about ripeness and pricing.

Tasted my first Di Costanzo Farella tonight. Suffice it to say, it is old school in the best possible way. I’ll post notes on the 2013 and 2016 Farella tomorrow.

I’ve not had the Farella wines but I fully agree with the Truchard recommendation.

You’ve received some great Cab recommendations and I’ll second Caldwell and Hendry.
When you’re needing a break from the Cabs, Try the Zins at Storybook & Biale- two of my favorites and they’re fabulous to visit!

so ‘cool climate’ the new synonym for afwe?

New?

Corison +1

I can’t believe the thread has gone this far without a mention of EMH Black Cat.

1 Like

is john alban aware of this?

I equate this style with wines that cellar for a long time. In that category, it seems Sonoma wines do better than Napa and mountain fruit does better than valley.

Buy the 1990 through 1996 vintages.

Or 1968 through 1978.

1 Like

I don’t know if anyone who considers Calistoga a cool climate.

The OP didn’t ask for cool climate wines, he asked for wines that might appeal to a fan of cool climate wines, and specifically “something that captures the spirit of the Napa terroir without being a dark fruited oak bomb (and preferably cost $100 or less).” I’d say that Merrill’s wines hit that description dead on.

1 Like

Why do you need to find an overpriced Napa wine that tastes like a Burg that you already know you like? It’s not like you’re shopping an inexpensive region to find value along the lines of your taste.

I’d second that recco as well Mike. I should have had EMH in my post.

ive had that wine and its fantastic. and when you can find it-the price is awesome too. tasting it made me even more sad about the fire that destroyed the property.

I would also add votes for Matthaison, Enfield, Corison, and older Napa vintages (pre '96) which arent actually that hard to find.

i also can’t believe i didnt see a mention of Bedrock Oakville farmhouse yet. its definitely not Burgundy, but its also definitely got a sense of place and balance that is hard to find in Napa.

I recommend Togni’s second wine, Tanbark Hill. Togni exceeds your threshold but Tanbark Hill is a very good wine in its own right and is ageable too. I recently pulled the cork on a 2014 – I knew it was too young, but it was the only Cabernet that I had at home (not much of a Cab drinker…most versions are too big for me).

• 2014 Philip Togni Cabernet Sauvignon Tanbark Hill - USA, California, Napa Valley, Spring Mountain District (2/7/2021)
    Nose of purple fruits and cedar. On the palate, red fruits, cassis, cedar and some balsa wood. Medium bodies with nice acidity; tannins are fine grained and add some interest. With air a pleasant green herbal note appears, that seems most prominent on the finish. Drinking well today, but would benefit from more time. Better in 5 years.

This second wine is more enjoyable for my palate than most Napa Cabs at twice the price. A good food wine and a great QPR for a mountain Cabernet. (91 pts.)