Napa and Climate Change - Stock Up Now!

I love this thread!

Mitch obviously prefers supporting the mega-wealthy Euro-trash polo crowd running the high end Bordeaux and Burgundy estates who have parlayed their generational lucky sperm wealth into self-aggrandizing vanity project Napa Estates with their great great great grandpa’s Bordeaux money.
Sarcasm font! I am just running with the theme and mean no ill will toward anyone…except that tin eared Mitch. champagne.gif

Seriously? Who the hell takes a helicopter from Napa airport up the valley. That’s pretty disgusting. And more than a little ironic, given the thread title.

Careful there, else the NPCs will throw kernel panics & reboot on ya.

[Linus shoulda used a microkernel!!!]

‘Mini Ice Age’ Looms As NASA Scientist Warns Lack Of Sunspots Could Bring Record Cold
November 15, 2018
https://www.longviral.com/2018/11/mini-ice-age-looms-as-nasa-scientist.html

I remember in 2005 after just moving here there was an article saying that within 20 years Napa would be growing Tannat. Cabernet would be relegated to the Russian River Valley.

Well, 14 years later and not only has that not happened, but alcohol levels are dropping and demand for Napa Cab is higher than ever before. We’ve learned to mitigate ripeness through row direction, leaf pulling (or shading), better use of (less) water and technology.

People under-estimate human’s ability to adapt to change. And the wine industry, too.

Maybe someone should point out to these scientists that Red Mountain, WA, makes good Cab and is a pure desert. The last few years the entire growing season there was 90-110F. Degree days well over 4000.

What? Data? Seems like an odd choice for a Berserkers discussion :wink:?

Alan - thanks for sharing. The really fascinating things about global warming are all the non-obvious side effects. Some areas will be cooler. Some water. Some drier. More coastal fog in NorCal would be interesting. Cooler Napa? The new Burgundy!

So give it to me straight - how many years do I have left to earn my corporate copter, such that I can land at Screagle?! Gotta do it, man - bucket list! [cheers.gif]

did anyone following this thread listen to the newest Viticole Podcasts? He’s released two in a row talking to a Nasa weather scientist who is studying these exact things. Especially the second podcast of the series they get into some of the nitty gritty of “can great wine from ____ still be grown in _____ with X degrees of warming”. etc

Haven’t yet found historical records for St Helena or Calistoga, but here are graphs of average temperature in April, August, October at Sonoma Airport (Windsor):

Temps.Sonoma.April.PNG
Temps.Sonoma.Oct.PNG
Temps.Sonoma.August.PNG

The reason no one takes you seriously is you have a tendency to blow up threads…

The Climate change is going to take time… Look at 2011, rainy, cool…

That’s a shitty attitude. I know plenty of hard working small family winery owners in Napa Valley who I would hate to see lose everything.

What do you do for a living? Can I summon the plague upon your industry or way of life as well? You don’t matter either, right?

So you really are a dick.

It’s almost as if someone, somewhere, at some time in Napa served up a personal affront to Mr. Tallan. How do you feel about the likes of Bordeaux First Growth charging extremely high prices, yet with multiple times larger production than these evil companies in Napa?

In fifty years Wales will be the new Champagne, in hundred years Wales will be the new burgundy, 150 years and it will be Bordeaux, if only i could live that long

Ahhhhhh, Welsh Champagne. Like the finest Champagnes, it’s vintage-dated!