Name and rate the best 2011 Napa Cab you have had.

Stone The Crows was a solid 91-92. no green notes. blue/black fruits, smooth tannins

Dunn Howell Mtn or the Constant Diamond Mtn. The Dunn is remarkably approachable for being so young.

Honorable mention to the Jean Edwards Cellars Napa bottling I bought at BerserkerDay in 2014.

Also had a 2011 Dunn Howell a couple months ago, and it was solid. From my experience and research, if you had stayed to the higher elevation wines that year, you would’ve been okay.

Alpha Omega Stagecoach Vineyard. If I did this semi blind I would of have never guessed 2011. A great wine indeed, now I want to pop another bottle open :slight_smile:

The first bottle i had i thought was off. It had a bit of that greeness to it. So i waited. Then the second bottle i drank i thought showed promise. Last night i coravin’d my last bottle and no kidding i couldnt believe it was the same as the other two. Im still debating on a score but im going to drink the rest of that bottle soon.

Grassi, Mathiasson and Corison have been great

+1 on the Corison.

Also, to Chris’s point, the best 2011 California Cabs I’ve had have been outside of Napa. 2011 Denner Cabernet Sauvignon and 2011 Mount Eden Cabernet Sauvignon were both phenomenal and both in the $60/btl range.

Haven’t had many (didn’t buy much) but Dunn Napa, Rudius Napa and Trujillo all come to mind.

+1
I think they managed the vintage quite well.

why not just pick a vintage that doesn’t totally suck across the board?

Because 2011 doesn’t totally suck across the board. The Outpost True Vineyard was the best bottling of that particular mountain Cab I’ve had. Usually it’s WAY too bold for me, but they nailed it in 2011.

Talk about a tough vintage. I recently had the EMH Blackcat regular and Sparkles. Both were stellar wines and some of the standouts of the vintage I’ve had so far. So much that I bought some, which other than Corison are the only two 2011 Napa Cab’s I’ve bought so far. I liked the Blackcats a touch better than the Corison, which I also thought was good.

Dennis, don’t get me wrong, there are people that can hit off vintages out of the park… The naive over generalization was a bit of sarcasm… But there is truth to it in one sense: it takes more resources (time and $$) to find diamonds in the rough when the vintage is challenging, especially in the affordable range… So the expected value of pleasure units per dollar will be greater in vintages that are more highly regarded. granted, some people will love the style of 2011s. And that’s what makes wine/wine discussions awesome!

I agree that the Stagecoach was Alpha Omega’s best wine in 2011. Very nice, indeed.

I gotta agree with Spottswoode.

Dunn’s cabs a close second!

2011 Myriad Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Vineyard - 95

I wrote down one word as a note. It was Wow! Tasted with Mike and Leah at CLONYC.

Most of the mountain wines were good. Vineyard 7&8, peacock are both spring mountain and delicious. Shafer hillside select is slamming.

2011 Greer

At a tasting with Merrill last week, we really enjoyed the '11 EMH Blck Cat. Was my daughter’s favorite.