N.Y. Times article on " the rising star sommelier" - Anthony Cailan

William,

I really don’t care about your real world dealings. You insult and talk down to entire generations, and then you feign ignorance and wonder why people will call you out? Really, who’s the chicken shit? Who’s the bully? Maybe it’s better that you consider your own lack of self-awareness.

This is becoming an open letter…with the letter opener.

The younger generations have much greater burdens than how to gain social media fame.

Rather thinly veiled complaint from William that young wine buyers don’t want what he’s selling.

Damn, I was just about to sell you a sh*tload of Screaming Eagle so you could gouge your customers. Guess I’ll pass.

First off, an article very much worth talking about for it’s intended purpose. I’ve been following this on social media via Marissa Ross as her initial posts caused quite the stir, and it obviously rose to the level of noteworthiness that it made the NY Times. It’s good that it got out there in short order (relatively speaking) as there was rampant speculation as to who it was, and names were being thrown around based on the “bi-coastal Somm” factoid and there being a very limited number of people fitting that point.

To Mr. Gladstone’s point, the only reason I know how Mr. Cailan is was from my time working for Heritage Auction and being in LA frequently enough to know the names being thrown around out there. I have literally no idea what his wine trade skills are, and probably won’t ever have the pleasure now. I think the point of trying to paint him as a celebrity somm is a reach. Whether or not they paint him that way, what he did was horrible.

I agree. The wine business is very male dominated (this fortunately seems to be changing, but slowly), and it’s sad to think that this sort of thing might be common. As disgusted as I am by Cailan’s actions, I am also disgusted by Alice Feiring’s response to one of the victims:

Ms. Feiring responded the next day, offering some sympathy but discouraging Ms. Makler from going public, and chiding her for not resisting more strenuously. “It is up to us to learn to say no to unwanted sexual advances,” she wrote.

“Remember, he is not much older than you,” she added. “He has more wine knowledge sure. But he was still just a kid who has some growing up to do. You may have perceived him as a powerful person in the industry, but he was/is not.”

Then for Feiring to try to excuse herself for this atrocious message because she has “personal experience with abuse” (and I don’t mean to belittle whatever experience(s) she has had) is also terrible. In fact, I think that makes it even more outrageous.

I hope Cailan gets prosecuted.

1 Like

Agree, Doug…I thought the response from Alice was pretty tone-deaf. That sorta jumped out at me.
Tom

William,

You did malign an entire generation. That is not likely to go over well with members of said generation, many of whom participate here. The age-old trope of deriding members of (the) younger generation(s) is just that: old. Old, and devoid of nearly any meaning. Trafficking in said tropes, however, does say a lot about you.

So, Yes … people will judge. That’s what people do. All day, every day. We are all constantly judging others ---- sometimes the judgment is positive, sometimes negative, and sometimes neutral. Deal with it. You obviously care, given your reaction. If you care so much, try to be more reasonable.

Finally, seeing as how you are a “Berserker Business,” I have to say it is monumentally moronic for you to be putting-down an entire generation, as many folks from said generation are ---- wait for it ---- exactly the folks your business would love to have as customers!

And, Yes, we’ve never met. We don’t know each other beyond what we post here. I am sitting here at my keyboard judging you, just as you sit at your keyboard and judge others about whom you write personal opinions. That’s all neither here, or there.

Yes, it’s changing in the right direction for sure, but female business ownership is still pretty rare. Not that Cailan owns anything, but the top jobs still seem to be mostly men.

Hi Brian, my English comprehension skills might be subpar but I fail to see where William “malign[ed] an entire generation”

As far as I can tell he’s pointing out a situation where someone who’s been given too much power (by social media) ended up abusing that power, this state of affairs being a not entirely flattering reflection on the times (ha!) we live in. What seems clear is that a very large number of people from many different generations are collectively culpable (I include myself in this). What’s less clear is that millennials have been singled out in any way

Can you please enlighten me? I’m a millennial and would like to know if I should be outraged

[snort.gif]

I hope you are not outraged, that is not my intent or my experience, I have a tendency to write and respond with open emotions and a false impression can be easily grasped , we’ve cut back on importing so many excellent Red Burgundy’s and only import - 1. The wine maker is a Millennial, my attorney is a super Millennial. The Champagne we have been a loyal supporter of - which is the largest privately owned Champagne producer, is now having the reigns in the hands of a Millennials woman I cheer regularly. The changes and innovations these young people have brought is so exciting to me.

Whatever anger I was pointing out was not a put down of an entire generation, rather a characteristic I am seeing as a result of how some-one like this gentlemen is able to move into the wine world as if he is a star. Someone else stated it far more clearly about the illusion created in social media. Not from true accomplishment, knowledge, its like the Kardashian’s, do they have any high level of talent, achievement or skill? Do they really add anything to this world?
I know a few people who have jobs and for 3 decades have been traveling around teaching, tutoring and administrating the information for people serious of gaining the skills of Somm’s and whatever that world is.

As reported in BonApetit:

Tom

Thanks for sharing, Marissa is doing good work.

I read it as a toothless attack on the NYT, with a backhand blow at young people generally. YMMV.

Every generation throughout time has complained that the youts are becoming famous on nothing more than flash and pizazz with no substance, whereas older folks did it all with hard work. Today it’s social media that’s the culprit, yesterday it was radio, and I’m sure Pliny probably complained about the younger generation of Roman vintners growing beards and pushing their “natural” Falernian to seem hip.

“there is nothing new under the sun” is attributed to Solomon, and even if he wrote it, he undoubtedly borrowed it from someone else.

Pretty bad allegations for Mr. Cailan…

But back to Will Gladstone’s original post I don’t see anywhere Mr. Cailan self-proclaimed himself a star. All the praise seems to be from people established in the industry. He has worked at some notable establishments and apparently has a done a good job. Wine Enthusiast gives him a nod, so does Alice Fering. His employers have obviously given him a nod for hiring him and trusting a young kid for big time wine roles.

Maybe I missed a sentence where Mr. Cailan does call himself “the best” or “rising star” but who really cares? Shouldn’t everyone strive to be the best? You need to believe in yourself before anyone else does.

I’m not sure if fame has ever in its entirety come from accomplishment or achievement, many many famous people are famous for being famous or because their fame has been created by image-doctors. For every Beatles there are dozens of Monkees, for every DeNiro and Sinatra there are dozens of Frankie Avalons and Fabians, I think time tends to let the pretenders and poseurs fall by the wayside of memory such that we only remember the true auteurs and craftspeople, when every generation was filled to the brim with hacks, also-rans, bloodless popstars and idols, vapid hunks and forgettable it-girls. The current crop is no better or worse than has ever been. There’s plenty of reasons to feel terrible for the young people of today, but how they come by their celebrity and what they do with it is pretty far down a very long list.

Very well said Bryan.