Myriad: Whatam I missing.

Sounds like a Vineyard 21 Aida '07 I tasted blinded a few yrs back…my remarks before unveiling is that “it tastes like McManis but with fancier oak influence”…McManis $10…Vineyard 21 Aida $140

Another sad day in wine history compliments of Napa

The Syrah Las Madres is world class Syrah.

That would be a good alternative for the OP to try.

What vintage would you recommend?

I love Mike’s wines, but am just drinking the ‘10s this year and think they’re on the young side, to my palate. I like the oak to integrate and the fruit to settle down a bit (and they do).

I also really like the Beringer Reserves and single vineyard cabs and have had many from the ‘90s and ‘00s. There’s not a lot of stylistic overlap between those and Mike’s cabs so, if you primarily prefer wines in the latter style, Mike’s wines are probably not for you. No harm no foul.

Above, Scott mentioned Corison and EMH. Both might be more to your liking, if you haven’t tried them. Also, Drinkward Peschon might be a good midpoint between those two and Mike’s wine, if you haven’t had it.

If you do not like the regular bottling don’t buy this offering. Life is too short. Buy your preference instead of following trends.

I will buy all of these that I am allocated.

FWIW, I had a 2013 syrah this week, was good on day 1 but excellent on day 2 - I am going to wait on the next one.

Cheers

I was on the Myriad list from the beginning. Tasted with Mike many times and agree with everyone that he is an awesome guy. But after a time, my tastes changed. Really found the wines to be more fruit forward than I wanted. But a lot of my wine friends love the wines. I think it all depends on your palate.

While I would characterize Myriad wines as fruit forward, I would never ever put them in the same category as Caymus. I had a 2015 Caymus at a holiday party last month it was so atrocious. It was fake cocoa, fake oak, superfillated fruit and no structure at all. No winemaker makes this wine. It’s made by a non-human. No self respecting winemaker stands behind this. This is made, all for the $$.

I was on the Myriad list from the beginning. Tasted with Mike many times and agree with everyone that he is an awesome guy. But after a time, my tastes changed. Really found the wines to be more fruit forward than I wanted. But a lot of my wine friends love the wines. I think it all depends on your palate.

While I would characterize Myriad wines as fruit forward, I would never ever put them in the same category as Caymus. I had a 2015 Caymus at a holiday party last month it was so atrocious. It was fake cocoa, fake oak, superfillated fruit and no structure at all. No winemaker makes this wine. It’s made by a non-human. No self respecting winemaker stands behind this. This is made, all for the $$.

You can say that again! :wink:

I would be more comfortable if the OP was more specific. Myriad Cabs (which, if you wade through, seems what was intended) or Pinot or Syrah?

I should probably try these cabs one day. Bought some whites from Becklyn and Myriad that we’re nice but not worth buying again. So I’ve naturally hesitated on moving on to the reds. That said, it shouldn’t really be that difficult to assess a ‘15 Cab for likability.
I wish I had done that with post ‘06 cabs from TRB, the RM cabs from ‘08 and ‘09 are still very very rich and I’m far from AFWE.

Regardless of where your tastes ultimately fall (as I fully admit that wine consumption and “assessment” is a subjective, personal thing), I also think it’s important to distinguish between “Mike’s wines” and the specific labels he represents…plus it also depends on what specific wine you’re drinking (the site plays into this quite a bit)…PLUS it depends on the vintage…PLUS one should factor in comparative QPR… etc, etc…

If one is trying to compare the Myriad NV with the Myriad Elysian, I think there is an apples/oranges issue there. If one is comparing a '14 Myriad NV with a '13 Elysian, there’s even a greater margin for error in assessment. If one is comparing a Myriad NV with a Carter GTO, its an apples/automobiles comparison. All are “Mike’s wines,” but they are different wines in many aspects, crafted differently with different intents. I’m not advocating or rebuking for him or his wines one way or the other (my bias lies with favoring his wines in general - full disclosure there). But it’s as simple or complicated as you want to make it. It becomes somewhat involved when factoring in the aforementioned variables. It becomes simple when deciding if a particular wine ultimately jives with your palate or not; you either like it or you don’t. Different strokes, blah, blah… But I would suggest not trying one particular wine and then deciding that you don’t like the label or the winemaker (which a broader brush than the one experience you may have had in one instance). Just my thoughts - not that anyone asked :slight_smile:

agree, +1

He said it was the current release Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Yes, Mr. Tuite. I always appreciate you keeping me in line. [cheers.gif]

Fascinating post!

To throw in a mild drift: I think I can tell a “house style” with his wines from wine to wine or vintage to vintage. Same for many wines. I don’t think any of his wines from given labels (keeping the grape being discussed the same) are wildly different from each other. I think there is a signature to them. So, I wholeheartedly agree with you about cautioning people about making overly broad conclusions based on too small of a sample size, but I do think there is some signature style that can be discerned. I’d be curious to see if others felt that way.

You are missing a palate that likes big oaky CA cabernets. So am I. Lots of other people to buy them but it’s why I don’t generally buy expensive wines that I haven’t had a chance to try.

Huh?

[beatoff.gif]

Agreed… i don’t’ think comparing Myriad NV and Myriad Elysian is all that apple/orange…
I’ve tried carter, quivet, myriad… and they all have a similar overtone, and style. sure vineyard/vintage variation exist, but it’s not like we’re comparing a myriad to a sicilian wine…

Ive tried many Becklyn’s and a couple of Myriad’s but im not noticing a heavy oak presence. I hate oak in wines and would be sensitive if it was overpowering.

So yes there is oak there but it certainly is not oak forward