Myriad release

Just got my full allocation and am very curiuos about the new wines. That hurt the pocket book but I haven’t tried a Mike Smith wine I haven’t really liked!

I left the Whole Cluster Syrah on the table, but bought some everything else. I regret that I went through my Quivet Las Madres too soon.

I left a Semillon on the table and wish-listed a third Petit Verdot to round out the case.

With the tiny PV production, we weren’t able to taste that when we visited yesterday, but we did try the 2010 100% Whole Cluster and it really was great, one of the standout Syrah’s of the trip (and we had quite a few). We ended up tasting a bunch of other things after that and I forgot about the Semillon! But I maxed my allocation of everything this release, so I’ll just try it after it arrives…I know it will be great.

The 2009 Myriad Las Madres Syrah is excellent. It is on my top ten list of favorite California syrahs (a list that includes Arnot-Roberts, Saxum, Roar, Lucia, Copain, Radio-Coteau, and Shane, for whatever that’s worth).
My 2009 was a pop the cork, pour a taste, and then let sit for 1 hour protocol before enjoying over several hours. According to CT, I commented: Wonderful nose of bacon and blueberries. Rich, round wine with dark fruit but a savory element of roast meat, some chalk and bacon.
Decided to add the 2010 version to the cellar. I bought a Sémillon just for fun.

Bought my entire allocation. A no-brainer for me.

Good to see you back in action, Bud.

Left some of everything on the table, but this is one mailer that I love to buy from, even at my new, lower levels.

Thanks, Mike. I can buy them. Right now, I’m just not allowed to drink 'em.

Tasted with Mike last week. The 09 quivet las madres was just killer. Opened the day before. Amazing rich black nose, exciting.

Didn’t have the PV or Semillion but trust Mike’s winemaking and love the pricepoints!

Ordered all of the WC syrahs, his syrahs are as good as any out there. I think bottle for bottle they just might be better than his most of his Cab line up.

Will probably go back and pick up a A few more things in the next day or two.

While not offered these (I’m sure I passed a few times) I did go back to the well and get more Quivet Las Madres.
If last years offering is any indication, I will start on these next Spring.
FWIW, I am more excited about receiving these as I am my Screaming Eagle.

I tasted this with Mike a couple of weeks ago… my notes… Silky and delicious.

Dan - I see Mike’s note suggests cellaring for 10-20 years, for the PV. Given your experience a few weeks ago, do you think it will give pleasure earlier? I’d like to try it, but am hesitant to buy a bottle to cellar that long w/o having any experience with the grape.

Thanks,
Andy

Andy,

This was delicious now. Mike gave me a bottle to take to the O/L at Napa Valley Wine and Cigar where 20 Berserkers also enjoyed it. There weren’t a lot of notes posted to the thread on the PV, but I remember a couple of folks having positive comments about it.

Thanks, Dan. Sounds like I should go back and pull the trigger. Already ordered some syrah and semillon.

Wow 24 hours after release to 1st time buyers and they sell out. I thought Syrah was supposed to be a tough sell.

That and no more PV. Wishlisted, and hoping some of you left some hanging for us 2nd wave folks.

Not Mike’s. Got my order in last week.

I believe they are totally sold out now.