My Very Best Meal Ever in NYC

Totally agree but the title of the thread is my very best meal ever in NYC. While my meal was incredible at Brooklyn Fare, I couldn’t eat there all the time. It’s not that type of restaurant. I could eat at Marea though multiple times a month and never get bored. I’m in the minority I’m sure but didn’t like my 2 experiences at EMP. Haven’t tried Atera or Blanca but Blanca seems very much my style.

I’m another who was never that thrilled by EMP though I haven’t been back since the grid menu.

Walking into Marea makes me feel like Holly Golightly saying “nothing very bad could happen to you there”.

I’ve had the bill padded by $10 enough times during lunch that I’m mentioning it here. Seriously. Double check the addition. The food at Marea is usually terrific but the lunch prix fix at Nougatine across the circle is a better bargin and often rivals Marea quality.

Hard to believe.

The only ways there can be addition errors on your bill is for there to be a bug in the system or they’ve purposely programmed it to add $10 or some additional amount to your bill.
Are you really claiming that?
Or do you get a special handwritten check?

Sure, and I agree with both of you that the type of dining at Marea is not the same as BF/EMP/etc, but like Glenn points out, the thread is about the best meal ever in NYC… or at least that’s the title of the thread… so for me that’s BF…

I mean, there are pizza by the slice places i can go twice a week and not be bored :wink:

Sometimes you just want really great ingredients that are not overdone. Cared for with love. Doesn’t have to be cutting edge inventive but perfectly executed with great service. There is a sublime comfort in that.

Also this is not at all common. It exceeds any desire to expand the envelope to me.

I am sure all of these restaurants are great but I haven’t been to any of them except EMP. I tried to do Le Bernardin this time but didn’t work out. Next time.

There are always other opportunities!

What Ray said. I’ve never had a problem with a bill at Marea in over 100 visits.

IMG_3897.JPG

Paul,

Did you have that at the Flintstone residence?

Ray, Hah! Bobby Van’s on 54th. I could only get through about half. Getting wimpy in my old age.

Beautiful Paul!

I have a theory that the best $100 (+/-) meal in NY is dinner at the bar at Marea. A martini and crudo (mackerel for me), followed by pasta (fusilli is great but I love the tagliatelle, clams and chili) and a glass of something decent. I popped in last week, not having been for a while and it was just as Jay M. said. Entirely reassuring.

This isn’t a troll but something clicked with the “nothing can hurt you there” comment. I too have had 100+ meals and love it most of the time. I’ve had extra drinks I never ordered added and checks with no itemization.

Sure seems like a troll. An inconsistent one at that.

First you tell the OP to have lunch at Le Bernardin.
Then you post that the prix fixe lunch at Nougatine is a better bargain and as good as Marea.
State that your bill has been padded by $10 on numerous occasions due to addition errors.
Then it was unordered extra drinks on your check as well as checks with no itemization.

Yet, you go back there more than a hundred times.

You’re right Ray, I’m glad the OP enjoyed his experience. On a lighter note this Italian Comedian added some ham to the fish course.
6761EA6B-A8ED-46BD-8DBD-7F907C16CAAB.jpeg