My new 100 point scale

I stopped tasting points a few years ago.

1 Like

Like Jorge, I no longer think it points. I buy what I like and look for it at below market (WS-Pro) prices. I am no hurry to buy at or above market. I have other wine to drink while I wait.

Mark, what a story hahaha. I still can’t stop laughing. Reminds me of my first time having it also in China. I’m sorry you had to go through so much pain. I’m surprised though that they classified it as wine. It’s certainly not for everyone, but they sure are super proud of that stuff.

+1
In my head, ratings should reflect perceived quality with no adjustments for price. Of course, that means that my purchase decisions ultimately depend on more than just my ratings.

Having been to China a few times, I can assure you Moutai is not circulated and never drunk. Quite the opposite!

But how is anyone classifying it as wine? It’s from sorghum. . grappa is closer to wine. Though both IMO are closer to jet fuel than wine.

Whether thinking in terms of points or just words like the key ones in Mark’s scale (magnificent, really great, pretty good, etc.), I think we all classify wines we taste qualitatively by some measure of our level of enjoyment (or perceived and predicted future enjoyment).

Where I differ is thinking about what I’d pay in terms of the market price. If I think a wine is only “pretty good” and its market price is $100, then I’m not a buyer even at half of market price. Now, of course, I don’t want to pay above market prices if I can avoid it, so if a wine I want has a market price of $50, I’m also not going to pay $75 for it at some store with terrible prices just because I like the wine.

But beyond just not wanting to get gouged, I think more along the lines of absolute price rather than price relative to market. So for a “magnificent” wine, I’d consider violating my $100 per bottle limit and maybe spending $125 for it, a “great” wine maybe I’d pay up to $75-$100 for it, and so on down to “pretty good” - I’d pay $15 to $20 for it as a daily drinker.

1 Like

[truce.gif]

According to them it was wine. They had paid for us to come, so at least we could do them the courtesy of tasting thirty four samples. [inquisition.gif]

I was told told that we had tasted some of the top Moutais. I suspect since this was at least fifteen years ago, that some of them would now would fetch some serious money. Currently they go for $200-1000, and one auctioned recently for $43,000. The most expensive from 1935 brought $1.35 million.

This is more or less identical to how I use points when I need to employ them in writing TNs.

1 Like

Worthless without exact definition of quality, and the gap between “really great” and “pretty good” is ridiculous …

Time to revisit my personal favourite which is the Johnson system (no, its not what you think).
Extracted from former edition of Hugh Johnson’s invaluable Pocket Wine Guide

One Sniff: Minimum score, Emphatically, No Thanks.
One Sip: A step up
Two Sips: Faint interest - or disbelief
**A Half Glass:**Slight hesitation
One glass: Tolerance, even general approval

Two glasses: You quite like it, or there is nothing else to drink
Three glasses: More than acceptable
Four: : It tickles your fancy
One bottle: : More than satisfaction
Second bottle. :Is the real thumbs up

A full case. : You are not going to miss out on this one

And ultimately
The Whole Vineyard

1 Like

Ah, you wanted some form of objectivity. Ain’t going to happen; all scores are by their very nature subjective; I know perfectly well what I mean by pretty good, so for me, it is not worthless but for you it might be.

I would also add that “pretty good” contains as much information as 92 points.

I don’t think he’s criticizing “pretty good” as being too subjective, I think he’s criticizing “pretty good” and “really great” as too far apart (as most folks would use those terms) to be adjacent categories.

If I were to adapt MG’s adjectives for my own use, I’d accept this criticism and probably do something like this -

99-100 Magnificent
95-98 Really great
92-94 Very good
89-91 Good
86-88 Pretty good
83-85 OK
Etc.

This scale seems to be more logical to me - although still a bit “high” - which is the common level here (and elsewhere) over the last years (unfortunately)…

I honestly rarely drink anything below an 87 and would not waste my time writing a tasting note on a wine below 87.<<

You will only know if the wine is worth 87+ points AFTER drinking it - right? (usually it´s not indicated on the label). flirtysmile
I had a 1987 Ch.Margaux recently I rated 86 points, no regrets (but I didn´t pay for it).

FWIW - the rating scale I usually use:(I´m no born English speaker, so my attributes may be not 100% spot on)

Below 70: a totally uninteresting mass production wine with more or less clear flaws and no real qualities, or an unbalanced wine over the hill
70-74: drinkable, but without real pleasure, usually to avoid
75-79: a below avarage to avarage wine without much character, maybe typical for variety and/or region
80-84: a good wine with some character, quality and typicity, an acceptable drink, no more
85-89: a very good to excellent wine with good concentration and complexity, providing real (everyday) pleasure, a bargain when in the low price range
90-94: outstanding wine with clear personality, complexity and depth, usually with fine potential when younger, and 93/94 on the border to greatness
95-99: a great wine in every aspect, really exciting, with singular personality and huge potential (when younger)
100: the very best of its type, great in every aspect, unsurpassable, really rare to meet with

I admit I drink quite a lot in the range of 85-89, and sometimes 80-84 … many German “Gutsrieslinge” are performing in this range, and I rarely regret drinking/buying it when below 10 € … there are also many lower Bordeaux or Cotes-du-Rhone or Languedoc to be found - and also classified Bordeaux or Village Burgundies are often in that range, not higher, e.g. when not from a great vintage.

Robert, that is an admirably pre-grade-inflation scale - similar to what most of the American critics claimed to be using when they started, before the days of “everybody gets an 85.” [wink.gif]

Had a similar view, it stack ranks well with the range in quality and craftsmanship. Though Moutai does deserve its own negative spectrum IMO.

If you found a really good $25 wine that was 92 points, you wouldn’t buy it unless you found a below-market price for it?

Or does that mean a really good $25 wine would necessarily rate 94 or higher in your scale?

An alternative :

La notation se fait sur une échelle unique. La note sur 20 est comparative et qualitative. Elle n’a pour fonction que de situer les qualités de chaque vin sans tenir compte d’autres critères (prix, réputation, origines, millésimes, etc…)

L’ECHELLE COMPTE 10 NIVEAU
NIVEAUX INFERIEURS

NIVEAU 1 : Inférieur à 10,5 Vin à éviter pour son manque de goût et/ou sa saveur désagréable et/ou son défaut.
NIVEAU 2 : 11-11,5 Petit vin : présente des défauts toutefois non rédhibitoires (amertume, alcool, tanins secs, acidité, manque de fruit). Vin tres simple et très court.
NIVEAU 3 : 12 12,5 Vin moyen : souffre encore de quelques défauts mais mineurs. Vin simple et court offrant un soupçon d’intérêt. Pas de longueur.
NIVEAU 4 : 13 14,5 Assez bon vin : sans défaut, plaisant, de qualité tout à fait correcte, techniquement irréprochable. Petite longueur.

NIVEAUX SUPERIEURS
NIVEAU 5 : 15 15,5 Bon vin : équilibré, mais manquant encore un peu de caractère, de volume et de complexité. Longueur moyenne.
NIVEAU 6 : 16 16,5 Très bon vin : équilibré, le caractère, le volume et la complexité sont présents à des degrés divers. Longueur moyenne à bonne.
NIVEAU 7 : 17 17,5 Excellent vin : du caractère, de la complexité, de l’équilibre, avec du volume en plus. Bonne longueur à très bonne.
NIVEAU 8 : 18 18,5 Grand vin : un caractère affirmé, une belle complexité, un grand volume, une race de classe et un équilibre parfait. Très bonne longueur.
NIVEAU 9 : 19 19,5 Vin exceptionnel : vin vieux parfait qui a confirmé (ou transcendé) ses potentialités, ou vin jeune ou moyennement âgé, parfait, dont les qualités de base et le caractère paraissent extraordinaires.
NIVEAU 10 : 20/20 Mythique : vin à son apogée, unique, admirable, légendaire, historique qui procure une émotion rare de plénitude.

Examples :
Rayas, Châteauneuf-du-Pape rouge, 2005 : 20/20 – 21/4/2019
Krug collection 1964 magnum : 20/20
Cheval-Blanc 1982 : 20/20 (twice)
Petrus 1990 : 20/20

Riesling Scharzhofberger Trockenbeerenauslese Egon Müller 1999 : 19,5/20 – 21/9/11
Riesling Keller Westhofen Brunnenhäuschen Abts E TBA 2009 : 19,5/20 – 21/9/11
Do Noval Porto Nacional 2003 : 19,5/20 (Portugal Juillet 2017)

G. Mascarello Barolo Monprivato Riserva Ca d’Morissio 2003 : 19/20 – 15/6/2019
Alvaro Palacios L’Ermita 2019 : 19/20 – 1/3/2020
Foreau Vouvray moelleux Réserve 1990 : 19/20 – 7/3/2020

Champagne Selosse Initial : 18,5/19 – 13/2/2020

Château-Grillet 2002 : 18,5/20 – 14/2/2021
Trimbach Riesling Frédéric Emile 2008 : 18,5/20 – 12/3/2021
Giuseppe Mascarello Barolo Santo Stefano di Perno 2009 : 18,5/20 – 12/3/2021
Romanée-Conti La Tâche 1999 : 18/20+ – 21/5/2015
Romanée-Conti La Tâche 1990 : 18,5/20 – 21/5/2015

March 2021 :
Williams & Humbert Amontillado Solera Especial 30 anos : 18/20
Berthet-Bondet Château-Chalon 2006 : 18/20

Gaillac Domaine de Brin Vendemia 2019 : 14,5/20 – 9/4/2021
67% duras, 27% braucol, 6% syrah (étiquette) vs 80% duras, 20% merlot (site du domaine). Robe foncée. Mûr pas pas surmûr. Végétal du braucol. Gelée de fruits (cassis et mûres), poivre. Attaque correcte, corps frais mais un peu léger et pas de réelle suite en bouche …

Rich, shot you a PM a few days back. Did you see it? Not offended (seriously) if you weren’t interested.

All the best,
Kevin

Sorry Kevin, been sidelined with heavy work and have not been on here much the past few weeks. Wasn’t intentional. I’ll go check PMs.

Cheers

No worries at all.