My Friends Gave Up

I normally stay out of these Burg threads, but I have a few serious questions that I will pose in a humorous light . . .

1. Should I assume, at age 72, that the 2002 Faiveley Gevrey-Chambertin Les Cazetiers will be ready for my 9 year old grandson’s college graduation party, or should I expect to have to live until his wedding for it to come around.

2. Should I give up on any realistic prospect of ever enjoying my entire case of 2006 Hospices de Beaune Corton-Cuvée Docteur Peste Faiveley (Hospices Auction Group), or should I pray to the God Bacchus that maybe Faiveley didn’t do to the barrel we bought at the 2006 auction what they seem to do with there own elevage technique?

3. Further on to Q2, what is it about Faiveley’s elevage that likens buying their red burgs to planting an olive grove for your grandchildren?

PS - The 2006 Hospices de Beaune Meursault 1er Cru Charmes Cuvée Bahèzre de Lanlay Faiveley (Hospices Auction Group) is outstanding and I wish I had another case.

1 Like

Had a '73 Ech last night. Not just a curio, or good for the poor vintage, but a superb bottle of mature Burgundy.

1973 Faiveley Echezeaux, Grand Cru: Sous bois and smoldering Autumnal leaves greet the nose. It has some black earth, smoked meats and strawberry notes too. The wine has really good complexity and depth for the vintage, with a sweet, vinous core. It is silky and layered and still has sinewy grip and very decent length.

2 Likes

Definitely not good for the 6L’s of 1996 Clos des Corton I have, stern vintage + Faiveley, oh boy and oh well.

Grandkids!

Terrible year for red Burg, perhaps the worst of the 90’s alongside '92. This '94 was thoroughly enjoyable.

1994 Faiveley Mercurey 1er Cru Clos des Myglands: The nose is inviting, with notes of sous bois, black earth and smoked meats. The palate is a little chunky, but full of savoury goodness. The acidity sits off the fruit a little and the finish has some drying astringency. It was actually a very satisfying drink and partnered a sausage casserole most amiably.

I stopped buying younger Faiveley in 2004/05 - tasted some 2002 and do not see I can enjoy these in my lifetime.
Bought 2009 again in the new style, hopefully coming around earlier.
Old Faiveley can be great (1964, 1971, 1978 -), but also hit an miss

In other words, if a 35 year old bought a 1985 Faiveley Beze on release they could drink it with pleasure in the nursing home at 74 years old. And that because it was an early maturing vintage!

All hail the new Faiveley!

3 Likes

Breaking news! The '99 Beze is starting to unfurl and man is it good.

1999 Faiveley Chambertin-Clos de Bèze, Grand Cru: Still very youthful, but starting to drink beautifully. Has the deep colour of the vintage. The nose is spiced plum, black cherry, pine needle sap and earth. It is rich and powerful, layered and expansive. It is a big wine of build, but light on its feet. The finish expands and drives on with plenty of cherry stone action

1 Like

99 Nuits Vignerondes, Gevrey Fuees and Vosne Chaumes have been pretty tasty in the last 5 yrs, although the Fuees is still a bit clenched. Vosne Chaumes drinking particularly well.

1 Like

you’re like King Midas. Even shitty Burgundy turns to gold when you touch it.

1 Like