My first Keller gmax

Klaus-Peter commented on a tasting note I posted on another site for 06 G-Max that there was no botrytis.

“2006 was a difficult vintage but the wines develop very well. Yield was low and we did not accept any botrytis for the dry wines. Now - with some bottle age - we know that this was the right decision!”

Well played.

The amazing 2006 Morstein GG sent me on a quest to buy their Morstein GG. Still haven’t succeeded. I have managed to buy some Keller Morstein Ausleses which are totally different but still fantastic.

In what is sort of the flip side of Robert’s comment about how amazing and wonderful it is that the very pinnacle of dry Riesling is “only” $1000, as compared with many multiples that for the best in other regions, I’m moved to mention how exciting I think it is that a dry Riesling has found a regularly acknowledged place among the very great white wines of world by more than just a few Riesling geeks. Not that many years ago, I doubt many wine lovers’ Greatest White Wine lists would have had a Riesling at all, and certainly not a dry one.

I would argue that a goodly number of equally excellent Riesling wines can be had for well under $100. Paying $2000, or even $1000 for G-Max can only be described as idiocy.

Not unusual predominant themes here I see.

Red > white, or white > red, or red and white can get along… Its preferences and palates vary. I love well-aged Rieslings and they can hit notes on the spectrum that reds can’t for me, hence why I appreciate them. Reds, my fetish being Burg, can do things you will never find in whites. I appreciate both. Its is about your tastes and honestly your mood some times. So, I split there and I’m equal opportunity.

Now, where I think this all leads IMO, is it worth it? The case in point for Keller (and by extension anything in that magnitude because that’s the lot), I struggle with paying that much for any given wine. Like many on here, I feel I can find comparable quality at <3% the cost and I feel that way for QPR and I just like to explore. Then there’s just means, everyone’s wallets differ. There’s things I can splurge on sporadically, and thing’s I can’t. You don’t buy GMax off a Publix shelf. You gotta get out on the market and that leaves you open to counterfeits, bad bottles, bottle variation, shit years, pick something and I would absolutely have an aneurysm if I paid 3 Gs for a flawed bottle.

I like my sanity.

Getting back to your impressions, you thought of a Clos St. Hune, did anything else enter your mind on palate? And being more specific toward price range, it was your WOTN, what else at a more reasonable pricing tier stack up to it that you may have thought of (QPR)? There’s a great deal in the 200 - 300 range, curious what else ranks there for you to calibrate.

Well if you think you can find G-Max quality for under $30 a bottle more power to you.

It’s not under $30 (more like $50) but a Nigl Riesling Privat that I had late in 2018 was one of the single greatest wines of my life. It stopped me in my tracks, which is something I have experienced with very few wines, red or white.

I’m not disputing that there may be occasional examples, but as a regular occurrence? How many mature GMax have you had?

Only a couple.

I had G Max before it became a thing. I thought it was good, but didn’t consider it some sine qua non of Riesling. I am generally not bowled over by Keller.

I have been blown away by other white wines, including Trimbach CSH Hors Choix, J. J. Christoffel Eiswein, J.J Prum Auslese, Muller Catoir Scheurebe Spatlese, Hirtzberger Singerriedel, etc.

Never Donnhoff? Careful.

My understanding is that it’s the equivalent of a 1er to a GC. Many people I know respect and seek out this wine as it offers insane value compared to the GG’s in price; given that the quality is often so close to the Hubacker & Kirchspiel.

Too predictable for me to mention it, so I specifically left it out.

But 2001 Niderhauser Hermannshohle Spatlese…1990 Niderhauser Hermannshohle Auslese…

Rich,

I’ve had the 2007 G-Max and I have to say there are few that can rival it. However, if you wanted to taste something comparable I’d suggest that you try the Wittmann Brunnenhauschen Riesling Großes Gewächs or their Morstein Riesling Großes Gewächs. In fact, for anyone that wants to try something on-par with Keller I’d suggest that you seek out and pay the $74 for the 2014 Wittmann Morstein Riesling Großes Gewächs at JJ Buckley. For the price you’re paying it’s near the same ground, a fraction of the price, and well, well worth the cost. If that’s too high and you want to try something in the same realm…I’d go for the $60 2014 Wittmann Westhofener Aulerde Riesling Grosses Gewaechs also a JJ Buckley. Wittmann is a producer that’s going to follow in Keller’s footsteps in my mind. It’s like Roulot(Wittmann) to Coche (Keller) in my mind.

I hate using scores across regions, styles and type, but the gmax was a 97, a high score for me. But I would point to a ton of reds with the same type of score beginning with VCC 2009, 2015.

Wasn’t saying that, just that high-end Keller is what, like ~3 Gs as I understand. 10% of that is 300 dollars, 1% is 30 bucks * 3 (or 3%) is 90 bucks. I feel comfortable finding comparable QPR in German Riesling for within that realm, for me.

Wanted to help you with the math there. Or I can call my daughter to lend a hand. [cheers.gif]

I am somewhat +3 (and sorry to delete PCLIN!).

While it wouldn’t quite match with my all-time “wines consumed” list, the most fascinating-and-amazing wine flights consumed from the time they’ve been poured to the times they have been finished have been white. Granted they have been the summit of White Burgundy, but they have been my most thrilling and illuminating wine experiences. In our group, they usually make an appearance with an early fish or veggie course and get pushed back to reappear warmer and more evolved with cheese late in the meal.

I love Riesling, but I have never had an experience from a top GG/top Spatlese that quite lived up to my best White Burgs.

Thx Kirk,

Appreciate the recs and I will look in to them. To the point you can make recs in that style for the price points you mentioned, that’s kinda where I was headed. While you can’t deny that Gmax is in that 6 sigma range for the offering. you can have all that you mentioned that are not quite there yet warning track power and do so by the case or two for the price of one bottle of Gmax. I’ll take that all day and twice on Sunday.

Btw, I do believe we crossed paths back in time on the elfs boards, good to see you are doing well. Thx

I took part at a G-Max verticlal 2001-2011 winter 2013 in Hamburg. Here are some notes in german, certainly Google will translate them for you.

Taste 2004 G-Max or 2017 G-Max, this will really blow your mind. 100/100

Prost,
Martin

No one quoted like $3,000 for GMax. OP mentioned $2,000; which others picked up on as a hypothetical price they wouldn’t pay. Robert Dentice, who drinks lots of high end Riesling and Kellrr, disputed the $2,000 as a typical price for GMax and quoted $1,000 as a more realistic price. Without making it clear, I based the $30 on the $1,000. I’ll admit it misrepresents your point.

However, to bring up a mythical $3,000 bottle in defense of your point is pretty lame.
We can both agree you’ll find some pretty nice Riesling at $90 and under, regardless of our argument.

I based my $2000 on Wine Searcher but I am delighted it can be had for less.