My first 6 months as a wine lover

you hit a couple of my favorites. some of my other favorites:
Chisa Bize (domaine Simon Bize)
Marta Rinaldi (Giuseppe Rinaldi)
Maria Teresa Mascarello (Bartolo Mascarello)
Alessandro Masnaghetti (mapmaker, Barolo MGA)
Ian D’Agata (discusses Piedmont vineyards)
Brenna Quigley (geologist that specializes in wine terroir)
Becky Wasserman
Hardy Wallace (California but still worth listening)
Morgan Twain Peterson (again California but Morgan is such a good teller of old vineyard stories)
James Conway (Napa but very interesting environmental stuff)
Antonio Galloni
Giusto Occhipinti (Azienda Agricola Cos)
Ariana Occhipinti (Occhipinti)

Please do post about Victoria/Australian wines! I had a By Farr Sangreal Vineyard last year that was one of the best things I drank all year and made me want to learn a lot more about producers who are doing great things there. I would love to hear about a local person’s experiences.

Jan has told me about the By Farr wines and they seem really exciting! Which one did you have?

Sorry, I just checked and I was wrong about the vineyard: it was the 2015 Côte Vineyard Pinot Noir. Just fantastic. Lovely stem influence. I picked up a 2016 Farrside from an Australian somm here in the city and I’m trying really hard not to just crack it open soon.

Thanks Matt. I listened to the Ian D’agata one and this was great. I’m sure I’ll enjoy the rest too!

Sean,

I did post about Victorian wine just a couple of days ago. In case you missed it: TN: Yarra Valley visit - Giant Steps & Mac Forbes

It is funny that you mention By Farr on your own without me mentioning them first. They are in my view the most exciting Victorian producer. You say you had a Cote Vineyard Pinot Noir. I had a Cote Vineyard GC Chardonnay earlier this year and it is still entrenched in my memory. The Cote Vineyard is their most recent vineyard, a closely planted/high density project that is very uncommon in Australia (wider spacing to allow tractors is the standard). These are very young vines (first release was 2015 if I’m not wrong), but the power and intensity really is something else.

I see you picked up a Farrside Pinot Noir as well, which you should like if you enjoy stem inclusion. Farrside is considered the darker, edgier, brother to the Sangreal, the more perfumed and feminine of the original vineyards (planted in 1994). Tout Pres, if you see any, is 100% whole bunch, 100% new oak, and used to be their top-of-the-line wine until the advent of the Cote Vineyard, although they might still considered it their top Pinot Noir, or the most representative of their house style.

Let me know how you like the Farrside, and try to pickup a Chardonnay too if you can.

I did miss it - great notes. The '18 Primavera Vineyard is being released here next month and I’ve never had a Giant Steps wine - the same former coworking Aussie somm is an admirer of theirs as well, though it seems like they are slightly more exuberant than the Farr from what I’ve read.

I’m stunned the vines are that young on the Côte. The wine was definitely deep and intoxicating. Thank you for the rest of the info and I’d love to try their whole lineup - alas, it was a private order, and I don’t think they have distribution here yet.

Thanks again for your perspective. I’ll definitely post a note on the Farrside when I get to opening it.

Received some great advice on this thread I started a few years ago when I was just starting out.

Are they releasing only the Primavera? Sexton is their best vineyard and usually the most available.

If you are in the States, By Farr is distributed there! A quick research on winesearcher gives me hits in New York, California, and Florida

I’m in Toronto, ON, Canada. Our liquor laws are somewhat byzantine and everything must be technically purchased through a provincial corporation though there are importers/distributors and you can make private orders through the provincial body. I don’t think they have reps here yet, unfortunately.

The same provincial body does monthly drops of more premium wines - sometimes multiple from one producer, sometimes one-off selections - they had another Giant Steps (Wombat?) wine earlier in the year.

Wow that sounds so complicated. I guess if you order from a US store customs taxes are going to rum pretty high? Man, more or less the situation here in australia…