My 55th with Some Great Friends and Killer Wines

I really like Las Cases, Montrose, Malescot, Leoville Barton, and Giscours. There are a couple others I enjoy that are not your thing. Latour is great, flat out great.

Great lineup. Happy birthday!
I’ve only had the 1982 Haut Bruin once. Terrific, almost as good as the 1985. :wink:
My one taste of the 2008 Dom left similar impressions — very tight but powerful. I’m surprised by how many folks here like it for current enjoyment (vs potential).
Regards,
Peter

Happy B-day! Great wines and notes. Both the VCC and Tertre are wines I always find to be exotic as you noted. Sometimes even kinky. I love both. Two of the best visits I ever made in Bordeaux were VCC and Tertre. Barrel tasting at Tertre was like tasting at Hogwarts. Well done.

Happy Birthday! Hard to believe you are only 55 based on your commentary about buying aging Bordeaux… champagne.gif

Happy 55th Robert, what a great occasion - fine wines, fine friends - and a bottle of Pavie to boot! Well done you for having such a fun evening in these troubled times! I shall raise a glass to your good health later.

2001 Cos is excellent

Have had good experience with 2001 DdC as well. Pops up pretty often for sale.

Happy Birthday and sounds like a wonderful dinner with beautiful wines! I agree with your notes regarding '82, amazing vintage. I still have 8 different bottles left, including Mouton. Can’t wait for the occasions to pop them open. Although the last '82 was a disappointment (Pichon Baron), smelled and tasted like a barnyard.

Well it’s really more about timing. I came out of law school in 1992 when the market was awash in excellent 1980s wines. Had some jingle in my pocket, no debt or kids, and some like-minded buddies to start a little wine group. Kept the momentum going in 95/96, when I got married, my wife and I took two trips to France in one year for four weeks of vacay, hitting Bordeaux, Loire, Southern Rhône, etc. Was damn fun and also educational. Bordeaux has remained a constant theme in my wine appreciation and purchases. Most of my current cellar, of anything 20+ years old, is a backfill. That’s the great thing about Bordeaux, well-preserved bottles from very good vintages remain easy to source.

Happy birthday and what a cool-sounding dinner. I’m buying and cellaring as many BDXs as I can so that I can drink this well on my 55th. Cheers!

Happy birthday!

Happy Birthday!! Great to see you celebrating & living it up!!!

Happy Birthday, Robert! Looks like a great time.

Robert, it was a great time, and Julie and I were happy to be a part! We have done quite a few “Berserker” things together over the past few years, but last night was the first with a full accompaniment of our better halves. That made it extra fun. And your friends are just awesome! You have outdone yourself on your notes, quite early this morning; impressive! They are spot on as well. I will add my impressions tomorrow…

Happy Birthday Robert! Great line-up. And I’ll take this opportunity to thank you for turning me on to several faves - it turns out I was also born in an outhouse in the Loire - I just didn’t know it till I read your posts! Best wishes for a great year.

Happy birthday, Alfert. Looks like you had an awesome evening. Will have to check out the Tertre.

Ha, me too! I was looking for more 99 but couldn’t find any on WineSearcher!

Happy birthday!
I’ve really enjoyed the 2001 Gruaud Larose. I like it better than the 2000 right now!

Agreed. The pagodes was also a great qpr.

Happy birthday. Great celebration.