Mrbuzz presents...The Freaks, The Macabre, The Wonderments...(1998 Turley Roussanne Alban Vineyard Hospices du Rhone)

1 Like

I wonder how many weeks they were thinking.

That’s a worthy denizen of the crypt!

What will Pantone name that color?

He starts at 75

1 Like

1997 was during a time (at least in CA) when a lot of people would send back BTG dry rose mostly because of the white zin stigma and the name given to the wine not specifying “Rose”. I wonder if they called it “Pinot Noir - Blanc” because of that? Either way, lots of people where I worked would have still sent it back, expecting a “white” wine like the “Blanc” in the name suggests.

1 Like

Rosé Blanc was the singer in my punk band.

Hester Prynne was the drummer, and she wore a scarlet “A.” She could drum the eff-bomb out of “I Wanna be Sedated.”

1 Like

This needs to be here!

1998 Turley Roussanne Hospices du Rhone Alban Estate Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley (6/28/2023)
Well…here we go…I’ve had this bottle in the cellar for many many years…I believe I picked up a couple from WB, long time ago, and noted that wine had turned when last had…probably mid 2000’s? Alban fruit, made for Hospices du Rhone, I believe, because it says it on the label…probably a barrel made and auctioned off? SQN made a Syrah from Alban fruit for HdR as well that year…goes for 6k! Never any hope for this bottle…with all the kombucha looking stuff floating in it…although I’ve had many Alban Roussanne with plenty of age that are fantastic. This wine…didn’t dump it out at first…so a decent sign! Color is…well…kombucha tea! Nose of nuttiness, apricot marmalade, butterscotch, fermented citrus…almost a distilled liqueur alcohol smell…it’s only 13.9abv though. Nose is promessing, and reminds me of Alban Roussanne…in the mouth…WHOA…tart and puckering!! Again, kombucha comes to mind…really sour and not even drinkable. I think this has turned into a science experiment…too bad, as I’ve enjoyed many Roussannes with age on them…this one just went rogue. (NR/flawed)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Bummer - love aged Roussannes, even those that are as dark as that.

Shared an 04 Qupe Bien Nacido Roussanne with Bob Lindquist over the weekend - dark amber but still oh so enjoyable despite being a bit oxidized.

Still have quite a few older Tablas, Alban and Copain (from James Berry) Roussannes resting for consumption down the line.

Cheers

2 Likes

I’m sitting on Camp 4 rousanne. So good, world class.

Yes…I’m not afraid at all of aged Roussanne…but this bottle is wicked!

Me thinks in the hands of John Alban…still a great wine. Turley(Ehren Jordan)…no chance?

2 Likes

It’s not an easy grape to work with - but to me, it makes some of the most ethereal and thought-provoking wines I’ve ever had. Period. Red or White.

Cheers

1 Like

Amen! How long do you believe your Rouss can age? What was your first vintage…and how’s it hangin now?

Buzz,

First vintage of me making Roussanne was 2012 and Marsanne was 2014. Have not checked in my 12a for awhile but my 15 and 16 Roussanne and 16 Marsanne are rocking it these days…

Cheers

2 Likes

Remember that 12…Camp 4…would love to buy a 6 pack of aged Tercero Roussanne if possible!

I tried Larry’s ‘16 Roussanne several weeks ago in the tasting room and it was drinking so good! Unctuous, but not heavy with great acidity to balance it out. I brought home some which will sit for awhile.

Great description. The rousanne, and the Marsanne, have the weight of a red but the acidity.

1 Like

Another ‘97-er. No more Pinots left, but lots of others….

1 Like

I’ll see what I can do, my friend :upside_down_face:

Thanks my friend - great hanging out with the 3 of you this time - and glad I opened one of those! Have one opened this weekend as well - so much fun pouring it for folks!

Cheers!

2 Likes