Moving wine to different state

Hello friends -

I am moving from Washington, D.C. to New Orleans later this fall and have approximately 500 bottles of wine to be moved. most are currently stored in wine fridges.

Has anyone ever moved this quantity of wine and if so what do you recommend? Just have movers box and move or are there particular companies that w specialize in moving wine?

Thank you in advance,
Keith Studdard

There are definitely specific companies that move bottles and maintain temperatures properly. I think that most moving companies have restrictions against moving perishables, and I would highly advise against having them move the bottles since those truck can get super hot.

2 Likes

I used Wine by Air, to move 350 bottles from VT to CA. Easy and stress free. Temperature controlled all the way, includes packing. I chose their cheapest option, where they palletize my wines and used temp controlled truck to move my wine cross country.

JF

3 Likes

Having moved wine way too many times for this amt of wine and given the proximity of the locations I would just drive it myself. A SUV can hold 40 cases. Refrigerated services who pack it work great but are just too expensive, maybe 5k. If work is paying then someone like western carriers is one of the gold standard firms who do this. For sure do not given to movers to pack and load. Get double walled cardboard boxes if you pack yourself. Styro is too bulky.

4 Likes

Some previous posts on the topic: