Moving to Seattle area: Recommendations for wine shops, tasting rooms, wineries to visit?

Chris may be an old crank, but he ends with very good advice:

But to answer your question, as a Seattle area denizen, I recommend you order all of your wine from Vinopolis, Sec, and Avalon in Portland, and make a couple of visits to the Willamette Valley each year to visit world class wineries.

No doubt, as I simply LOVE Sec and Vinopolis…but they’re in Portland, OR. Not Seattle, which is what the OP was asking for.

Hi Ian,

So, in an effort to rehabilitate myself with the board (and to push Sec Wines as a great online shop), here is an offering that Eric of Sec just sent out that might be right up your alley:

2018 Buona Notte, Syrah, Brutto Nobile, The Rocks district, Walla Walla $34.89 / $179.94($29.99) Six-pack

Hold on, hold on!!! This is not your typical 15% alcohol stewed fruit bomb WA Syrah. Longtime readers of this newsletter know I love traditional northern Rhone Syrahs and tend to eschew the heavy-handed Syrahs of eastern OR and WA. So with some skepticism, I sampled this Syrah and was blown away by its purity, balance, complexity and resemblance to an excellent Saint Joseph Rouge. Brutto Nobile or the “Ugly Noble” is Syrah from the Rocks District which lies just below the Washington border in the Walla Walla AVA. This AVA is filled with river stones that go 50 to 100 deep. The vines translate that terroir into aromas of violets, incense, tapenade, herbs de Provence and yes, wet stones. The mid-weight palate is silky-smooth with exceptional balance (12.4% alc.) and plenty of complexity highlighted by an array of spices, blueberries and a stoney gout de terroir.

Contact Information phone: 503-805-5871 eric@secwines.com

I am not personally a fan of WA wines - perhaps I’d have a different take if it was OR or Italian wines (though I have never bothered to slum around the McMinnville tasting rooms either). Let me just say that it is a misnomer to call it “WA wine country.” It is a series of perhaps hundreds of tasting rooms arrayed in strip malls and warehouses. The area is a traffic nightmare on the weekends due to so many people going to “taste” wine (AKA: get shitfaced). They (someone) actually sell a “taste ten” cup that people wear on a neck string that allows them to taste at ten wineries for one fee. Participants are readily available stumbling along the sidewalks. Apparently, some of the tasting rooms are very nicely decorated and the wine is marked up accordingly. It just strikes me as silly to call a marketing hub “wine country” when it is really just a massive collection of bars.

Gee, there’s something new. Someone complaining about change in Seattle and the PacNW. deadhorse

I came out West more than 30 years ago. And, you know what, there were people making similar complaints back then. The only difference is that at that time it was the “Californians” that were the bogeyman - now it’s the “Amazonians”. Emmett Watson’s been pushing up daisies for almost twenty years. Time to let it go. The only constant is change. Cities/regions that don’t adapt and change end up dying. Make sure you tell the kids to get off your lawn, too…

Michael

1 Like

Thirty years? You’re a new comer. Now get the hell off my lawn. neener

Yes – bottle shop is great. And Cadence as also mentioned above is great. I have been a recent convert to Pike & Western. They have some good and interesting wines. The nice thing about Seattle (notwithstanding Chris) is that there are still lots of nice neighborhood stores and wine bars. Bar Ferdinand is another nice one in the Capitol Hill area – all European wine though.

On the changes to Seattle, I am a “newcomer” as well – late 90s. I remember liking moving here from New York as it was one of the few places where NYers were not the bad people – it was the Californians. I will say that I feel about NYC what Chris feels about Seattle. It has become crowded, expensive, and commercial. Older people felt that about the NY that I grew up in. I feel that way about Cape Town right now, where I lived for a year in the 90s. The past always feels more comfortable – as it is when we lived and enjoyed. But lots of these bad changes have lots of positive attributes as well. But enough.

Back to Woodinville. Notwithstanding the summer weekend crowds, there are some really good wines out there to taste. The nice thing about living here is you can go during other times of the year – and other days of the week.

But yes, it is not wine country – though there are some grapes out there. That is really Yakima area, and Walla Walla.

I will also add that Okanagan nearby in Canada has some interesting things to try.

Again – welcome to the area (or I should say back to the region). I hope we cross paths in real life some day!

Even though this thread took quite the detour I’m relieved to see the destination is still in sight. Very much appreciate all the recommendations! I have a lot of reading, researching, and drinking to do! Chris, thank you for the PDX recs as well, will definitely be hitting up Oregon.

Bar Ferdinand — love that place!

Newport, class of 98. Go Knights!

“I’m not from here
But people tell me
It’s not like it used to be
They say I should have been here
Back about ten years
Before it got ruined by folks like me…”

James McMurtry, “I’m Not From Here”

The drive is pretty pleasant and I can’t imagine it’d be a hardship to visit a couple of times a year

Woodinville has at least one redeeming feature: The Herbfarm. Great food and reasonably priced old wine…

Again…not arguing your point…

Not sure what to make of the disdain for Woodinville. While it is obviously not “wine country”, for someone like me, who lives a good thousand miles from any winery, the opportunity to taste new vintage wines at 100 different tasting rooms…well it sure beats tasting orange juice!

[rofl.gif]

Hey looking for restaurant ideas for Paris.

• well here are great spots in Vienna…

• but but but Vienna is a fun city too!

:wink:

1 Like

I’m outside within three hours of Seattle at least 50+ days of the year and I’ve never seen an overcrowding or trash problem on any trail, including some of the most popular in the area. I couldn’t Google any school overcrowding issue either. Theres some traffic but I’ve never seen gridlock at north bend unless there’s an accident or a severe weather issue and I take i-90 on the regular most winter weekends.

Very droll. I didn’t consider that the OP wanted to wander a wine shop like on old book store since I buy all my wine online. I should have clarified. Since he is moving to the Seattle area, here is what one person who lives in the area does. From a selection and economic perspective, I find that ordering wine from Oregon is the best choice, shipping vs. WA state sales tax included in the calculation. And considering that most retailers will hold wine for a number of months, a semi-annual trip down makes it even better.

[quote=JLee post_id=3066535 time=1598985116 user_id=20281

I’m outside within three hours of Seattle at least 50+ days of the year and I’ve never seen an overcrowding or trash problem on any trail, including some of the most popular in the area. I couldn’t Google any school overcrowding issue either. Theres some traffic but I’ve never seen gridlock at north bend unless there’s an accident or a severe weather issue and I take i-90 on the regular most winter weekends.
[/quote]

That is great that you still find things so charming. My daughter is a student at one local school district and my wife is a teacher in another. But what they experience must not be real if you can’t find it on Google. True, gridlock currently doesn’t extend much beyond Issaquah. Give it a few years. Snoqualmie and North Bend are both sprawling bedroom communities. I-90 is designed to bypass them. In city traffic gets very heavy. Try Hyw 202 or 18 at rush hour. And I won’t bother sharing anticdotal stories of trail issues from me, my wife, my brother, or neighbors, etc, since you won’t be convinced anyway.

So, either

1. You are extremely lucky in your experience.
  2. You and I have widely different perceptions and standards.
  3. I am lying and have made up a bunch of tales.

Choose whatever works best for you. I suspect you already have.

I have no affiliation with Medium Plus aside from the fact that I follow Nick Davis’s Instagram account. I believe he runs a warehouse at 7511 Greenwood Ave N #306, Seattle, WA 98103, so you may want to browse his website and pickup at the warehouse. His website has been invaluable to me as he and his team has compiled a great encyclopedia of all things wine. I wouldn’t expect anything less from a Master Somm.

Chris i don’t disagree… I think there are some wines that Sec/Vinopolis has a much better deal on, and Willamette is a beautiful place to visit!

However if you build a relationship with some local wine shops, you can get limited access to certain wines that are much harder to fine on Vinopolis/Sec… Also, the ability to jump in and buy a btl due to last minute need has some value, so OP may want to know some options as well. [cheers.gif]