Moving to Columbus, OH

I grew up in Ohio. Spent a lot of time in Columbus and about 1/2 my high school went to Ohio State (the rest seem to have gone to Miami of Ohio). Columbus is a really nice city, but I don’t get the Ohio State fixation. I live in NoVA now, but I certainly don’t root for Georgetown or JMU or George Mason.

Oh yeah, I did go to University of Michigan, too :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the replys.

I used to live in Cincinnati (go UC!) and am very much looking forward to moving back.

Does anyone know anything about the Grove City area? I will be working a little south of Columbus and it seems like it might be the best place to live for my commute. We are thinking about living at the Pinacle golf club. The two home builders we are considering are CopperTree homes and CastleStone. Any additional information you have would be awesome!

Thanks again!

Adam

a popular suburb (esp for newer families) due to the $/sqft, and short-ish commute to downtown. I don’t know a lot about it otherwise, as I grew up on the north side of town. I’m not sure about school quality compared to other suburbs if that’s a concern for you (I’m sure you’ve already researched it thoroughly if it is)

Depending on what is most important to you, the majority of shopping, restaurants, wine retail stores, highly rated school districts are located north of I-70.

I live in a northern suburb, Westerville, and it takes me 20 minutes to commute to work downtown. Traffic usually isn’t much of an issue in Columbus.

I have some friends that live at Pinnacle, I will reach out to them and get back. Moreover, I have another friend who lives a little south of Grove City but is moving closer to the city, as she feels that she is always driving north to do anything.

The wine shop at Spaggio in grand view has a new manager with some pretty cool stuff being brought in, but the pricing is the issue.

You have the Redskins, Nationals, etc. to dilute the sports entertainment market. OSU is the only big game in town here (yes, I know, there is also the CBJ). And, as a Michigan grad you’re opinion doesn’t count. [stirthepothal.gif]

You can pretty much get to downtown Columbus from any suburb in 20-30 minutes in rush hour, accidents and construction notwithstanding.

Isn’t Ohio one of the few states that has two professional sports teams in two different sports, no less…Browns/Bengals and Indians/Reds, not to mention the Blue Jackets?

Seems to be plenty of pro teams in the state, but I guess if you consider that Ohio State does pay their players like professionals, you could consider them a pro team :wink:

For the record, I’m a Cavaliers, Browns and Indians fan, which means pro sports are pretty much dead for me now.

Also, Hampsted Village is a pretty nice neighborhood that is family friendly, as is Britton Farms in Hilliard, which is close to Tuttle Mall…

“Professional” because the players are paid, but not competitive. And I’m a Redskins fan. [wow.gif]

Jeff - I think we might be living in wrong cities!

I have a great story… I went to a Cincinnati Bengals game when I was in college. We were in the nose bleed section but I was amazed to see several people watching on the old Sony Watchman the Cleveland Browns game that was being played at the exact same time.

Now that is Ohio for you.

Thanks

This is a very old thread, but if anyone in columbus still has a wine club going could you let me know?

One just opened a mile from my house. Guess I will have to check it out

Does anyone in the Columbus area know of restaurants that allow corkage?

Illegal in Ohio.

1 Like

the good news is, its sounds like you have an off-line group all ready to go!

Corkage is not illegal in Ohio. It’s becoming rare, but I know of three restaurants in the Dayton area that allow it. I brought an Aubert Pinot to one in Yellow Springs last weekend.

Wine shops in Ohio leave a lot to be desired. A few places have a decent selection, Jungle Jim’s in Farfield for example. You can also go across the river in Cincinnat to the Party Source. I buy most of my stuff out of state.

2 Likes

It is. That some places allow it - usually from ignorance - doesn’t make it less illegal. I know a couple places that would allow me to BYO and I won’t do it. They will pay a larger price that I am comfortable with should there be enforcement (as rare as it is.) There have been actions at various points when the State wanted to make a point.

Businesses with a liquor permit are strictly prohibited from allowing an open container of an alcoholic beverage on their premises that was not purchased from them. > Charging corking, cup, storage or any other additional fees related to BYOB and the consumption of that alcohol on the business permit premises, may constitute the illegal sale of alcohol and result in citations for the permit holder. >

1 Like

Having lived in Columbus for 13 years, all I can say is

Condolences.

2 Likes

What about unlicensed establishments? Rare in Pittsburgh but plentiful in Philly.

In Ohio, no. If the establishment does a corkage fee, they can get charged with unlicensed alcohol sales. If they don’t, the customer could be charged with open container violation. There are exceptions for private venues and, I think, for ‘entertainment districts’ where the open container law is relaxed. In short, any self-brought alcohol in a public restaurant is a violation. That said, the enforcement isn’t common except when the agency decides they need to make an example of higher end establishments. OTOH, the document I linked was not something they had made explicit last time I look, so they may be taking this more seriously now.

PA law is different.