Most Underrated Producer in Burgundy?

Probably all four of those are much easier to drink young and at intermediate stages in their evolution than Angerville’s wines. Also, all four are Cote de Nuits producers - always pricier than Cote de Beaune.

I think it’s hard to call Angerville underrated. Even in Volnay I’d be more inclined to give the title to Pousse d’Or, which never seems to get the respect of either Angerville or Lafarge.

and I really think Patrick L is getting better and better. We tasted there in 09 and were pretty pleased. Much improvement since our visit in 02 (I think)

Two under the mainstream journo’s radar:

Catherine et Claude Marechal
Jean-Marc Vincent (I import to Australia)

I’m no burg expert but both Dubleres I drank on T-Giving day were excellent. The white will be my QPR of the year, without any doubt (see my signature footer below). The red was the 08 Volnay Pitures and it was balanced, full of flavor yet delicate. Agree with Kevin here.

Dublere is a good call, also Gerard Raphet.

Domaine Bart makes very bright and silky Marsany’s.
I have also really liked the few bottles from Domaine Richard Maniere I have had.
Domaine Daniel Bocquenet - despite being 100% new wood his wines never taste like oak juice. One of the best buys I ever made was a case of his '01 Echezeaux for about $50 per. I think we will enjoy one tonight!

Maybe not most underrated, but great and definitely under the radar in the U.S.: Courcel.

Dan Kravitz

1. R-Trepet Chamebrtin 2005 was at around CAD 142.

Peter…wish you were still living in Toronto. There is no bid in LCBO Auction this week-end for : 2 Roumier Musigny 86 and 2 Roumier B-Mares 1998.

I love the Courcel wines, through and through. They are my benchmark Pommards. I bring in the Bourgogne rouge every year, and it is one of the greatest sneaky qpr wines that i’ve found.

+1 on Bart and Bocquenet. Had the 02 Aux St Julien about a month ago. Still very youthful and not heavy on oak

Despite being told by many to try Bart I finally did this year. I could have owned them going back to about '05.

Near Charleston - you should go to the Charleston Grill and pick off one of the many hidden gems on that wine list!

yep
great place
Former chef was quite the Francophile (trained just outside Beaune!)

Rapet
Francois et Denis Clair
Violot-Guillemard
Aleth Girardin
Lafouge

Buying through the London market, there is no way that Angerville is underrated. Sure it’s easier to get than Lafarge but Angerville is top level for Volnay.

Pousse d’Or is a better example of an underrated wine from Volnay that offers top level quality at better accessible prices.

Look, if you don’t know what to buy other than the obvious, look to some top rated wines from Burghound or Tanzer (possibly Galloni) that aren’t as popular such as Dublere and Courcel and the Boillots, Bouchards, etc.

Tollot-Beaut
Chandon de Briailles

I agree with the Newman recommendation. When you can find them, it’s hard to beat the QPR of the Bonnes Mares and Mazi. Here in New Orleans, they are somewhat easy to come by, both in retail and in restaurants.

Angerville consistently gets high ratings so it can’t be overrated. Far too high in my opinion.

I think Denis Mortet are underrated if not outright incorrectly rated. I’m puzzled by how the wines rarely achieve very high scores and get notes of “charred, oaky, overripe” etc. Because whoever writes this stuff can’t have been tasting the same wines as me! I have a feeling that a bad reputation from older vintages still sort of lingers even though the wines have greatly improved.

The strange thing is that they are still pretty expensive, so I guess I’m not the only one buying them even though they rarely get rave reviews.

My take for underrated producer would be quite a few of the great, generally unheralded producers of the Mâconnais.

Marechal
David Clark
Fougeray de Beauclair
Jean Marc Millot

Recently saw a fair amount of Dublere at some of the better shops in Rome.

RT

???

Per-Henrik Mansson used to love those Denis Mortet wines.