More Oregon vs. Burgundy: So WHY are they incomparable or comparable to you in terms of flavors/aromas/terroir?

The nose can sometimes fool you, but I have yet to taste an American pinot without a confected sweet finish.

[scratch.gif]

Not sure what you’re drinking, but you won’t get that in my wines.

You will get plenty of tannins and acidity…

Small sample size? Cheap stuff? CA only? Not sure what to make of that statement.

I definitely pick up the confected finish in some (not all) “higher end” Oregon single vineyard wines.

To be fair, I also pick up a confected finish from some Burgundies. 2018 is a vintage where I’ve tasted a couple like that.

Edit to provide a few of examples:

2016 Soter North Valley Dundee Hills
2014 Cristom Hirshy Vineyard
2015 Ken Wright Carter Vineyard

I’ve recommended blind tasting before, despite rumors that it’s about back patting.

RT

1 Like

Thanks for the details. 2014-2016 were the three warmest vintages in WV history. All three of the producers you list, and Cristom is a big influence, tend to use a decent bit of wood. I haven’t had those wines, but I would recommend trying 2017s and 2019s, over 2014-2016.

I would also, with no disrespect to the three producers you listed, recommend trying Kelley Fox, Trathan Hall, Division Wines, Twill, Evesham Wood, and J.K. Carriere. And Thomas or any McKinlay vineyard designates or Special Select. Also Johan.

Jim Anderson can speak for PGC, and if you ever get a confected finish on a Goodfellow wine you should PM me and I’ll either replace the wine with a different one or give you your money back.

There is often a dumb phase in my wines, but that is different from confected.

I appreciate the post. Encouragement to prodicers to move away from bigger, richer, thicker, ponderous wines is always welcome.

2 Likes

Nice shout out for Division. One of my other Oregon faves.

I like Tom and Kate’s wines, and they’re style helps to make them a solid recommendation against thicker sweeter wines for any vintage. I always appreciate when you post a tn for them.

As much as I really like their Pinots, I think my favorite wine they do is the Beton.