More Auction Insanity

Was looking at last weeks Acker auction results. Lot #115 - (8) bottles of 2004 Leroy Bourgogne Rouge - $14,880.00!!!
Somebody please give me some rational for this.

Wow my previous post was thinking it was case. Even more ridiculous.

So, I purchased a 3-pack of these in 2008. Drank them all and did not like them. Glad I only paid $85 per bottle with shipping. Would not rebuy.

So, I purchased a 3-pack of these in 2008. Drank them all and did not like them. Glad I only paid $85 per bottle with shipping. Would not rebuy.

If you could only go back in time and sell them for almost $2,000 a bottle.

I sold all of mine. I was buying for $50 to 75/btl by the case. I had 8 left. I sold at $500/btl a year or so ago. First wine I have sold in some time.
Just couldn’t see the rationale of keeping it.
It is an ok wine. Not a great wine. There is a reason it was declassified. Not worth that kind of money discussed above. Just my opinion.

I sold all of mine. I was buying for $50 to 75/btl by the case. I had 8 left. I sold at $500/btl a year or so ago. First wine I have sold in some time.
Just couldn’t see the rationale of keeping it.
It is an ok wine. Not a great wine. There is a reason it was declassified. Not worth that kind of money discussed above. Just my opinion.

Well Played! [cheers.gif]

I can’t speak for everyone on this board, but my non-Asian friends are just as superstitious as my Asian friends. No one I know is shying away from any vintage xx13 wines. Similarly, all of my Chinese friends happily and eagerly buy, drink, and celebrate weddings, birthdays, etc. with plenty of 2014 white burgs, just sayin’…

So…if this is not a Chinese factor…then…is should be a : Must Have Factor for this kind of insanity.

Here is an example. According to wine-searcher : Roulot M-Perrieres 2017 is at $1857; and Bouchard is at $156.

Thanks…I forget about ** 四 sounds similar to 死**.

Been in Montreal, Canada …too long.

re the 04 Leroy Bourgogne, I remember part of the reason it was declassified was that her husband died that year, close to harvest, and her spirit and energy for winemaking were gone. But the wine did suck. It was real cloudy. I got rid of mine long ago.

Yes, cloudy and green is what I recall…-mark

Yes, the wine was cloudy but I quite liked it.

We were fortunate enough to have tasted all of the Leroy '04’s from barrel before Lalou decided to declassify and blend. I thought the wines were very good, equal to DRC’s '04’s which we tasted from barrel also. DRC’s '04’s have turned out to be excellent wines.

This is the story as I know it.

I bought and the wine and paid about $85-110, wouldn’t pay $120. Ended up with about 8-10btls of it and drank them. Had the wine about a month ago from a friends cellar and it was actually very very good, DRC was at the same table. Is it worth today’s prices? No chance. Do I wish I’d bought piles more? Of course…but if I had I would’ve sold them a long time ago.

I recall thinking it was a solid Bourgogne, probably not worth $75 but…maybe just because it’s such a unique and weird wine.