Montreal Restaurant Recommendation

Great. As I’ll Be staying not far from Atwater, I’ll definitely visit the market.

2 years ago, we drove up for a little getaway and Joe Beef was the only bad meal we had. In fact, so bad that I would never recommend it to anyone. It had to either be the worst luck in the world or ??? . I know, many people I respect raved about it, but it truly sucked on so many levels…for us.

How come?

For Markets: Atwater and Jean Talon, as mentioned.
As for bistros, L’Express is fantastic. 3927 Rue Saint-Denis. It is a short 10 minute drive from around Atwater.
I also like Bouillon Bilk (mentioned above).
My family has enjoyed Entrecote St. Jean at 2022 Rue Peel. They only serve Entrecote with or without soup, and limited desserts. The food is good, service and ambiance is old-world, and prices are fair.
http://www.lentrecotestjean.com/menus/

Meals at Joe Beef and Liverpool House can be quite heavy (heavy use of pork fat/butter). Delicious but heavy.

For non-bistro places:
For an interesting and delicious meal, look at Candide in the Little Burgundy area (near Atwater/Joe Beef/Liverpool House). Interesting, eclectic and good service. Nice wine list as well.

For Italian food, I suggest Nora Grey http://noragray.com/menus/menu.pdf
It is close to the Belle Center.

Another + For L’express

It has been a while, and I have tried to forget…but every single dish was terribly flawed. The most memorable was their deep fried Fois Gras, that I was told you just HAVE to get…it was inedible. I could hardly crack it open, and when I did, I was sad that I was able to. Nothing was even good. And, it was so cramped. I’m sure it had to be an off night, but so much was bad that I would never give it another chance.

Garde Manger
Add to the list. Great seafood focused place in the old section of Montreal.
Inventive dishes without pretension. Fresh seafood in simple and straight-foward presentations.
The beef carpaccio was excellent as well. Had a delicious brussel sprout dish with hazelnuts and some house cured bacon.
Highlight was monkfish in a sauce with scallop broth and clams. Salty focaccia to soak up the sauce was a nice end to the meal.
Delicous.
Wine list shows some depth, although leans heavy to the reds.
Some top Bordeaux with age, but with prices to match.