Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

I think there’s a high degree of seasonality . . . winter and fall tend to be accumulating seasons, because of various mailing lists plus Fall sales. Spring/summer tend to be reduction seasons as one drinks those wines. The true test isn’t how much reduction you get over the summer, but how much over the winter.

For me, looking at things by month is not useful - your mileage may vary. Several years ago, I decided to try to reduce my inventory by two to three cases a year and I’ve reduced by 164 bottles in the past six years, primarily by reducing my purchases a bit; my consumption remains pretty stable. I am now 68 with 1,072 bottles. I’m not worried about not drinking all my wine, as I have nephews who take any leftovers when the time comes, or I may (try to) accelerate the rate of reduction.

Opened 5 bottles in the month of April, purchased none.
Now at 639.

I’m at 688 with small purchases of Rhys and Biale to purchase in May. Progress.

Daily drinkers come and go and do not figure into my cellar tally as there is a consistent, diverse three to four case supply on hand, they do not get aged and therefore do not count in my “real” inventory.
After many decades in the fine and rare end of the biz: I have rare bottles, old bottles, bottles with emotional/sentimental attachments, bottles to consume with specific folks, bottles for tastings, bottles just for me and my honey and some cool mags, all of which number in the 500 bottle range.
If my health or palate starts to fail, I will reduce these numbers radically. If not, attrition will take four or five bottles per month. On Sat, two 1983’s were opened, one blew minds.
The Wine Weasels tasting group discussions about which bottle(s) are wanted on a controlled drip tube taped to the corner of my mouth when my health is in serious decline, have been determined. I do not want to check out before the last 1959 is consumed. The case of juice for my wake has been determined as well. Party on, Garth!
Dad lived to be 89 and was not overly health conscious. My honey is a veggie and I rarely eat red meat, mostly seafood and poultry. I hike several times a week.
I will revisit my case(s) later and with any luck, or with no runaway truck bearing down on me…L8R

Minus 7 for April. Still going in the right direction.

-8 in April.

I have simply failed this month. Minimally, but still a fail. This month will be worse, since I will stock up for the summer.

Consumed 14 bottles, bought 7. Down 7 in April.

Reporting in at 2538 bottles, which includes a purchase of four bottles of Kevin’s new Italian cru - a net reduction of seven bottles

-14 net reduction, which is starting in the right direction. At this rate, I only have 28 years of wine left.

I’m buying very little red and drinking my cellar so a positive. I don’t count seasonal wines as they are bought to be consumed over the summer.

Ouch. Looking at it that way I have 16 years worth of wine.

LOL. That’s definitely not statistically significant, but extrapolating at this rate you will finish drinking your stash in 30 years.

I keep telling myself that if (a) I stop wine buying full stop, and (b) I keep going through wine at the same rate as in my 40’s, I only have 11 years of wine.

Feel free to question the assumptions, but not the math!

Had some people over to the house this past weekend, so ended the month net down by 8 bottles! 32 in and 40 consumed.

Sorry, Maureen - I only keep accurate records of when things are purchased, not when they are delivered, so my numbers will reflect additions at purchase time.

I am pretty happy with 34 consumed and only 15 purchased. Net -19. This pushes me under 2400 hopefully on my way to <2000.

I have hit the storage limit, time to drink down the overflow. Was hard at first, but now feels good to pass on the offers.

1 Like

When purchased is correct because that is when you own it

Right. You need to visit and help!