Mold on Eurocave Bottle

Does my Eurocave have a problem? And will a moldy bottle spread?

I have a Eurocave in an air conditioned apartment. The air isn’t always on, but I am in the NY area and not day in Atlanta or somewhere Southern. Without opening the fridge door, humidity can go to the high 70s - which strikes me as fairly humid and would result in water beading on shelves and dropping onto labels. I bought some moisture absorbers on Amazon which have done the trick to lower to the mid 60s.

Recently I took out the absorbers (as it was full). A few days later, I happened to notice one of my labels developing black/grey mold spots on the label (like soot one can scratch off with a nail). I immediately took it out of the wine fridge.

I am wondering whether I have two problems here:

1. does one label with mold compromise the entire fridge?
  2. is my fridge broken with unusually high humidity (even without opening and closing the fridge through the summer)?

The wine is all definitely spoiled. You should send it to me for safe disposal.

You may very well dispose of them! There is no DRC, Mugnier, or Rousseau…!

1 Like

I found that humidity at home increases the humidity levels in my eurocave. I have the room that my eurocave is in monitored so I can proactively dehumidify the room if needed.

I dont know first hand but I think if the mold gets worse it would spread.

I will never buy a eurocave again. To me it is overrated and way overpriced. The moisture/frost it gathers is so annoying and needs constant maintenance if I even open it for a minute.

I could go on in detail about my past experience. To keep it short, I’ve had months of good experience following another poster’s recommendation to use damp rid in the cooler. I use a small bucket on an upper rack and replace the crystals every 6-8 weeks or so. I’ve seen no evidence of mold spread since. I would suggest a sanitary wipe down of every surface as a reset.

I an currently using a hanging one, that looks like the hanging damp rid. It is a bit ugly, so a box like the damp rid box would look better (although will reduce bottle capacity) to slot it in somewhere. Will it fit on a rack bottle slot?

Don’t use bleach if you wipe down, not that anyone would consider bleach of course.

Whats wrong with bleach?

good point, I have metal racks and used lysol wipes in the past.

THE NOTORIOUS Bleach? Perhaps you’re TCA insensitive?

. TCA is a compound which does not occur naturally. It is created when some fungi are treated with chlorinated phenolic compounds, which are a type of antimicrobial agent used in the processing of wood.

2 Likes

Need a new filter, door seals ?

I’m not sure why you say “without opening the fridge door”. If you are opening the door to reduce humidity (and I’m not saying you are) , that is precisely the wrong strategy. There is only one place water vapour gets into the fridge from - air outside the fridge.

So keep the door shut as much as possible. And check for leaks in the door seals as suggested above. Are they tight enough to grip a sheet of paper?

I got mould in my Liebherr wine fridges, and I’m convinced that it was because bottles we touching the back wall. By design, condensation ran down the back wall and out through a drain. But if that condensation runs along bottles it can lead to label damage.

Also as @NED_VALOIS suggested, if the filters are very blocked air circulation within the fridge could be limited, which could mould formation. Personally I think this is less likely as it would also reduce the water vapour getting in - I think the air taken in through the vents is also to prevent the fridge humidity getting too low.

In my experience, no. In one of my fridges, three PYCM bottles across two different vintages developed mold a couple years ago (among 10 or so in that particular fridge). I’m lazy, so I just left them like that. The mold grew all over the labels of those three bottles.

It’s been there for years and it’s never once spread to any other bottles. Maybe I just got lucky?

2 Likes

The big issue I’ve ever had with any fridge is that if the bottles touch the back of the unit and overcool themselves via the compressor, it will cause condensation and a mold problem could occur. I had an issue once and like others mentioned just used alcohol wipes to clean the surfaces and was mindful of bottle placement on the racks

There is shelving in a eurocave, is it possible to touch the back while on a shelf?

Yes it’s possible. More likely on the fixed racks, less likely on the ones that hood individual bottles.

Same experience here. A half a dozen bottles had the propensity to develop mold, I’ve tried to clean them from time to time, but it usually comes back. It hasn’t spread to other bottles.

1 Like

When I had mould on labels in my fridge, I too noticed some were affected and some weren’t. Apart from it depending on how damp certain bottles get (and I think it is liquid water rather than humidity), I am convinced that the material in the label is important too. It’s either the paper itself, or the adhesive.

1 Like

“Without opening the fridge door” means I am not frequently opening the door. So depsite the door shut, humidity seems high. Can you please elaborate on the paper test? Open the door, put in paper, close the door, and see if the paper stays fixed? Thank you!

I have had eurocaves for over ten years and have only seen mold grow on the non-rolling shelves. Similar to a bottle touching the back wall, if the wood rack touches the back wall it will become damp….and the spores take hold. Have never had a bottle grow mold but a few have become wet from bad placement or shifting while stacking other bottles.

And the bottles will also condensate if you leave the doors open for long periods of time, like 5+ minutes.