Model Farm SCM Chard Release

Well that strategy will work, right up until it fails.

Catastrophically.

Until then, however, let the Good Times roll.

Well, the vineyard was planted 45 years ago. I’m not sure what kind of yields they get, but I think most growers would call a 45 year old own-rooted vineyard a success. At some point, vines get replaced even in the absence of phylloxera, 45 years is at least late middle age for Chardonnay in California.

-Al

Wow.

That’s 45 straight years of insanely good luck.

I guess you gotta keep riding a winning streak like that for as long as it keeps streaking.

[And whoever hasn’t washed his lucky jersey for 45 years needs to keep on not washing it, otherwise he’s gonna jinx the streak.]

Nathan, I officially nominate you the “Debbie Downer” of WB.

• 2016 Model Farm Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (4/21/2018)
    I remember tasting the Syrahs with Joanna last year on our stop to see Jamie Kutch. Joanna, who pairs with Jamie to produce all of his Kutch wines, was there on that day and it was a pleasure to meet her. I also believe that Joanna is married to Sean (who is the assistant winemaker to Jeff Brinkman at Rhys) and together Joanna and Sean craft the Model Farm wines. Having recently bought 3 of the new Chards, and further seeing a few TNs emerge from people who I respect, I figured I’d give one of my bottles a go. The label says 12.5% ABV and 2 barrels made. Opened about an hour ago, added a light chill, and then poured off for several ounces for this TN. Lots of things going on here. A mix of pear and golden apple form the core of the wine, along with a light butterscotch. As the wine continues to unfold, another layer of flavor in lemon curd and taut green apple. As it finishes, then saline and tangerine, all being held up by lemon peel. Finally, I like the texture here too, as it shows a touch of polish and creaminess, but only lightly enough to round off the acidity and pure fruit. This is a good first effort from Joanna and Sean.

Posted from CellarTracker

Took 6, trying the first one in a couple weeks, can’t wait!

Okay, you a**holes dragged me in, I just ordered some too.

You’re Welcome!! champagne.gif

Excellent, Counselor. I just poured off another few ounces from the bottle we opened last night and it’s drinking bright, lightly creamy and showing that cool lemon and tangerine note from last night. This is a terrific fit for your palate.

I hate you too.

Strong words from you. I know you will love me again tomorrow :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to open a Rombauer chardonnay just to hurt you, Frank.

And here I was thinking you had a pretty good palate.

Looks can be deceiving, Russ, especially when the counselor is involved.

Chris, I wouldn’t be too unhappy about owning any of what I would imagine is a total 500-bottle allotment for the entire production [grin.gif]

And yes, Will—like Frank, I pay attention when I see you post a note. Excited! I will almost certainly pair it with one of Jamie’s 14s when I open it, just for some fun.

Kwa Heri,

Mike

cracked one from my three pack last night and ordered three more today.

Thank you very much for bringing this winery to my attention. The chard has the energy/verve between the fruit and acidity that I crave.

Hey Counselor, on the contrary, I think you drinking the Rombauer might hurt you. [rofl.gif]

Brett, good to see you enjoyed the Model Farm, too.

Yeah, BC, glad you got on board. Gotta make sure Buzz gets a try…can just imagine what he’ll think!

Mike

I feel the urge to pop another bottle just to check if my memory of this wine is right. I felt that it had some special qualities we rarely see in Chards at this price point.

OK, opened it side-by-side with Jamie’s 14 Chard. Both given same treatment, very slightly chilled, no pre-ox, enjoyed over a couple hours. It is quite interesting just how different they are from each other. the Kutch 14 is still so infused with energy and laser-focused. The aromatics…the only thing I’ve sniffed that’s similar is PYCM or Leflaive. And it is super-tight. Joanna’s and Sean’s is already a rounder and more broad wine, but still with plenty of salinity, minerality and a slight bitter fruit ending. As it evolved some in the glass, it looks to have a decent lifespan. Glad I have more of these to check on them from time to time.

Mike

Had another bottle last wine and it was quite impressive.