Missing my cellar Spring rant (apologies in advance)

I don’t see an issue. You’ll simply have to move somewhere in the middle, say, Spokane WA or Butte, MT and move the cellar there! champagne.gif

I have to open three whole doors to get to my cellar and walk down two half-flights of stairs. Is that the tiniest violin so far?

Import/duty allowances I can understand if it is wine you are bringing with you and the government limits the quantity. It is a second house so I doubt the cost to ship/import the wine is truly that much of an issue, if it was, you probably would not be able to afford a second house. At $160 a case to ship from Alaska to Texas, I would pack a pallet and put it on a refer truck. I had some friends do it to get a bunch of wine from WA to GA, much less expensive than shipping by the case.

As far as lack of storage space, people in big cities like NY manage to get by with small footprint apartments and have room for wine storage, it is just a matter of planning. We know a couple who are living the RV life now and they seem to manage.

We have access to offsite storage. No idea if such is available in Rockport, TX

Time to reevaluate your career choices? [basic-smile.gif]

Well I have to say Russell in Abi Dhabi and Ethan in Russia make my problem look small… but if you live in NJ UPS ground may be your answer.

Yes, that’s exactly what I did - sent multiple cases before I left. This was my first year going away for such a long time, and all I was trying to say was that I found it challenging to pre-plan my consumption, and at times frustrating that I couldn’t just go to my cellar and pick what I wanted to drink.

The point is to state the obvious. It’s a national past time.

Forget the wine. I feel sorry for you spending half the year in Texas. [scratch.gif]

I hereby cede any claim to the Tiniest Violin Prize to you! Especially since, as far as I know, there is no such thing as BYOB anywhere in the UAE, and the wine lists in restaurants that even have an alcohol license are pretty exorbitant (I’m basing on this on 4 or 5 trips to Dubai). In Russia BYOB is uncommon, but still possible in a handful of good restaurants.

Ah, but there are upsides, like being 2-5 hours from every single European wine region! [cheers.gif]

I know! We lucky ones enjoy it all year.

Yes I think BYO is illegal. Probably. If you know the manager though…