Mike on Tour--May 22 Seattle, Peter H's Deck, 4 pm

And I will be in Seattle for most of the day on 21st—Drew, possible lunch or afternoon visiting? I’m still thinking seriously of going down to Gig Harbor for dinner that day for SeafoodFest II

Not a chance. Didn’t think I was going to be able to get the hall pass at night, given the kiddo’s bday, but the wife is taking her somewhere. I’ll figure out a way to get back to Toronto again some day… hell, if I can make Sydney work, Canada will be a breeze :smiley:

If i can make it, i will bring a chicken salad and a red pinot (burg or new world tbd), and a white chard (burg or new world tbd)
[cheers.gif]

OK–if I don’t drink it with my friend Deb tonight, I’ll be towing along a 2006 Musar White. I’m sure I’ll find something else in Pike’s or M & S.

Mike

Will likely braise a pork shoulder to bring along - have a recipe with cumin and coriander seed that has turned out fairly well in the past.

Haven’t thought about wine yet. Del left an interesting looking old rhone at my house last time, but since he can’t make it i’ll leave it in the cellar for now.

I think I’ll bring a caramelized onion puff-pastry “pizza”

For wine, I was thinking 05 Pegau, but I know some of you may be brett-averse (I used to be but I’m starting to come around), so that might not be the right choice. Let me know if any of you feel strongly one way or the other. Alternates are 06 Thomas or 02 Eyrie.

Caramelized onion sounds great, as does the port shoulder. Rhone should go perfectly with the pork, although I confess to be in the clean wine camp. Others can weigh in. Pegau has its fans.

One thought I had is that a few extra decanters will come in handy.

P Hickner

I’ll bring 2 decanters. Still thinking about wine and food though.

Mike probably gets enough Canadian wines right? or do you want an Okanagan wine Mike? :stuck_out_tongue:

Whatever you like, Mark—always up to try more B.C./Okanagan—though I did some good work there 4 days ago or so.

M.

Cool. Since u didn’t visit laughing stock winery in the OK (based on ur notes), I will bring a Syrah from there to pair with the pork shoulders.

Ok so in addition to the pork shoulder I mentioned above I also salt/sugar brined another shoulder last night and it’s doing 6 hrs in a low oven right now. So a Bo Ssam of sorts except I’m not planning to brown sugar it in the end and not making the Ssam sauce or bringing kimchi. I am making the sherry scallion sauce and have butter lettuce leaves.

If some one wants to do the Korean elements feel free, but it should be a little more savory this way. Some people like rhone with the full blown Bo Ssam anyway, but if you want to bring a Riesling it will definitely go. I’ll bring along a Chenin Demi-sec or an older moelleux with some of the sweetness aged out.

Will definitely bring a N rhone that observes the rule of 15.

I’m bringing a couple board darlings:
'11 Black Cat cab
'13 Goodfellow Richard’s Cuvee
Still thinking about a third bottle.

Food-wise, looks like Jim has got protein taken care of.
I’ll bring those delicious spreads from London Plane, along with some bread and crackers.

My wife is still debating whether she wants to come with me or chill at home. lol

All SO’s are definitely encouraged to come.
Anyone who has not made a positive confirmation they are coming, please chime in.

Only 20% chance or rain, so we may be able to get in some time outside. Bring a light jacket or vest.

I’ll chill some Riesling if that is the favored match for the pork. What sweetness level?

Peter Hickner

Thanks to Peter and Carol for being such terrific and generous hosts! Thanks to everyone for the great array of different wines and tasty food! And thanks to Mike for giving the Seattle crew a good reason to get together.

Cheers,

Hal

Really enjoyed the great get-together yesterday, tons of fun and so many interesting wines. Argh, though I think my notes made themselves into a paper airplane and somebody hijacked them. I will look again, if not will post from best memory.

We’ll do it again, hopefully sooner than 8 years!

Mike

A bit thank you to Peter and Carol for generously hosting us last night. Nita and I had a lot of fun… and a lot of wine… but more importantly, got to see the Seattle crowd again!

Three things I learned last night:

1. Vieux Telegraphe and Rayas are not CdP.
  2. Jim has tasted bug spray before.
  3. Beets + cumin = Christmas

I haven’t been checking the offline forum and saw the writeup in the main wine section today. I would have loved to have met many of you for the first time. Seattle offlines are too rare. Cheers guys.

Ron

Great seeing you all! Nicely done with the lamb and pork Hal and Jim!

And yah beet and cumin in a spread - surprisingly good.

Ron - sorry you missed this one. I missed another one some time ago because I had all but given up on this forum.

Maybe we can all agree to some PM’s the next time someone schedules a get together?

If nothing happens before then, I promise to host something in the fall. Hopefully it doesn’t need to wait until then - I just have a busy summer planned and can’t commit to anything else right now. I hinted at it on Sunday and have since received approval from my wife, so I’ll make it happen.