Mike After Tour--Thoughts on Cali 18 + Top 20 winery wines, top 25 overall (looong)

A great read - all components! thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the terrific review of thoughts and notes

E

Man, some people. He pulls #2 WOTT 3 years ago with his 88 Certan de May and WOTN on last year’s Asia/Cali swing with a 79 Pichon-Comtesse and he thinks he’s God’s gift with a cherry and chinaware on top. [grin.gif]

The Beychevelle was very solid :slight_smile:

“3. 2015 Drew Valenti PN” — Nice to see mention of that excellent wine here. Also, nice to see this thoughtful and helpful thread. Quite a few other posters on this forum (too many in my opinion) could use and learn from this as an example of constructive on line behavior. (As the ongoing Rhys thread illustrates, it’s not only producers, but other civilized people, who are turned off by so much of the frat boy mentality that I read on this form.)

Mike -

Thanks for not only this awesome post but also your individually daily reports. You spend a lot of time and effort writing such prodigious notes, and it is great to taste vicariously through them!

However, it was even better getting to visit with you twice on this trip -and look forward to seeing you again in February!

Cheers!
Paul

Indeed, better than the ‘81 Gruaud neener

Great write up, as usual! Sorry we only had a “surprise “ little visit together on this trip. Looking forward to Falltacular and your next visit.

Cheers!
Marshall

Thanks for your notes Mike. I stumbled on Prager about 15 years ago in Vienna. Now the secret is out. [wink.gif]

I’ve been a fan of Sojourn since the '06 or so bottling. Gaps and Sangiacomo always run neck and neck in my book. How would you compare the Reuling Chard to the Rhys Alpine? I’m a big fan of the Alpine; and with a limited budget (since Janice retired), I’d be curious in your thoughts.

See you in 2020.

The Reuling is a very different Chard from the Alpine, Dan. Much more about a sophisticated and balanced interplay between fruit and depth.

"2016 Sojourn Reuling Chard

This year, for the first time, Tim was able to sell them Chard fruit. 18 months in 50% new oak, the clone is suitcase Montrachet. 200 cases made and fulfills the promise. This smells distinguished. Vanilla and a slash of minerals, maybe some sea air? Oh my! Oh my—early days yet but there is depth and wonderful balance with perfect yellow fruit flavours. This is a must-have wine. 92"

Compare with my notes on the Alpine:

"2016 Rhys Alpine Chard

Grabs the nose and throttles it with the saline and rocks & toast. Apple underneath and grapefruit. An already-classic example, mouthwatering (as in must-have-more) lemon, minerality but it slides along with the rest of the wine. This is really fabulous stuff, beautiful gingerbread finish at the back. One of the best winery wines I’ve had on the whole trip."

Marshall, agreed, but really glad I decided to ring the doorbell!

Thanks Mike.

Great notes and information in this thread.

Mike, thanks for making time to visit AV. I am glad I got to share a couple vintages with you while you were here. Hope to see y’all in February!