Michelin restaurants and fabulous wines: Inside the secret team dinners that have built the Spurs' dynasty

Baxter posted some of that on his Instagram. He started following me a week or two before the publication, and I saw it a couple of days ago.

I never knew they knew him, but I know the couple who helped Pop get his start in wine, too. Super folks, and super knowledgeable. too.

A friend told me Pop’s private label is made by A to Z. Anyone know if that’s correct?

If you liked the article, he has been posting a bunch of supplemental pieces to his Instagram (@baxter)

Well, he is a partner in A to Z.

Those are great as well, thanks for the tip. Looks like he got a bottle of Rock and Hammer our of it :wink:

1 Like

Looked up Baxter’s (OKC native done good in the big city) Instagram that William posted. It’s made by Rex Hill which I believe is owned by the same partners as A to Z?

2 Likes

Baxter promised me he’d open with me. I told him this is basically a blood pact of the highest order.

Yeah, you definitely can’t go back on that one and remain friends!

Like.

Yes, it is. To be more specific he partnered with A to Z owners to buy Rex Hill in 2006. I don’t believe he owns any of A to Z, so my previous statement is a bit misleading…he owns part of a brand with their owners.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/38163121/how-ultra-rare-exclusive-dessert-wine-fueled-gregg-popovich-dynasty-san-antonio
From ESPN+ today.
Interesting read that focuses on Pop and d’Yquem (his favorite).
He was gifted a 1949 birthyear d’Yquem on visit by d’Yquem last year.
Loved his quote: “A vintage in Bordeaux like 2000 or 1990 comes out, so you go get X number of cases and you think, ‘How am I going to drink all this before I croak?’” Popovich said then. “Then you end up having nightmares that your kids are going [to inherit the wine], mix it with 7-Up and make sangria.” But, Popovich added, “Whether it’s ready or not, the d’Yquem is going to get drunk [by me]. Those bottles will not be passed on!”

saw it today as well, agree on the interesting read. Had missed this original article that Charlie OPed back in 2019.

Later, an America vs. France battle of top Chardonnay producers, with California’s Peter Michael facing off against Burgundy’s Domaine Coche-Dury.

:sweat_smile:

Wonder how this “battle” turned out…