Merry Edwards sold

Interesting but not unusual with closely held family businesses these days, especially where long hours, physical labor and personal interaction with the public by the family members are significant components in its operation.

Always liked their Pinots. I can’t imagine a huge change in style but we shall see. We will know if they double production amounts.

I introduced the SB to my wife and her tennis friends quite a few years back, and that’s my single claim to wine fame among them. Otherwise, they think my palate sucks. The SB is a house go-to wine for us when I want a buttery California Chardonnay to pair with stone crabs or lobster and butter. The pairing is magnificent. And it’s better than a buttery Chard but does have some similar charateristics without being too OTT. The wine is normally to sweet for me with other pairings or alone. We have it in the line-up tonight, though.

Roederer has done very well with the other properties they have acquired and I think the quality has gone up and the direction more focused (when needed) at each property. In terms of pricing, I don’t think it has really changed at each property much when compared to similar wineries in terms of region and quality. I view the sale/purchase a good thing and best case scenario especially with no family alternative for Merry Edwards.

Which vintage will you be opening tonight? How was it?