Mending Wall

I got the same notification about Mending Wall. I’m a big fan of TRB wines, but he does seem to be spreading himself a wee bit thin these days, which makes me wonder if it’s all about formula. Until I start seeing some dramatic disappointments I’ll reserve judgement.

Here’s some info about the cab:

“As far as the Cabernet Sauvignon, we have sourced the fruit for the 2012 vintage from two vineyards in St Helena and one on Diamond Mountain in Calistoga. Unfortunately I cannot disclose any further specifics of the vineyards at this time. We use all French oak, and the Cabernet saw 85% new French oak and 15% neutral French oak. This vintage was in barrel for 20 months”

It’s not a traditional mailing list though, as you have to call or email to order, and you can buy what you want.

So I got to drop by yesterday, and taste the wines, and it’s clearly the project we were all hoping for. The wines are stellar, the future is bright, and the tasting room is awesome. I didn’t ask if there was a future to taste more than Mending Wall, since they are making several projects there right now, but that’s my fault!!!

White Wine Blend- Fans of the more “white Bordeaux style” will adore this wine. The wine has great texture and roundness, with a lot of fun, but not invasive flavors in the mid-pallet. The finish is fresh and clean, with that lush, lingering quality on the tongue. If you are buying wines like Araujo SB or Lail Georgia’s, you are going to love this.

Cabernet 2012- This has excellent contrast. The St. Helena sourcing shines up front and through the middle, but the Diamond Mountain terroir shines on the finish with present, but non-intrusive tannins, and a hint of savory elements that tells me this is a bit young, and has a bright, bright future. For those thinking this is a good value, it is.

Petite Sirah 2013- I’m sure everyone was thinking the Cab would steal the show…but it’s the PS that blew me away. A WOW wine on all sides, this has a great berry-puree on the fruit side, but not of the sweet variety. Then comes this wave of back-end, savory elements that PS brings when it’s done right. Crazy complex, long and deep, this is a must-own wine you can drink now, or drink whenever. I adore this wine, and look forward to watching it’s evolution.

Honestly, Napa fans will want to buy some of each. More selective buyers, you have my notes. I plan to revisit these guys yearly, as they want to maintain a mailing list, and a walk-in presence. If you are going to Napa, make an appointment. It’s $35 well spent (that’s the tasting room fee), and since the wines are so smartly priced, you won’t care.

Just got this email from the winery:

Greetings from Mending Wall,

Save the Date - October 13th, 2015 - 9am PST

Our very first fall release!

2013 Mending Wall Cabernet Sauvignon

2013 Mending Wall Palisades Petite Sirah

2014 Mending Wall Stone on Stone

If you have any questions, comments, or just want to say, “hello” feel free to contact us directly at 707-709-4200 or info@mendingwall.com

Does this mean that there will be an online offer? Or do we have to call to order?

I believe it will be an online offer next week since it’s a Save the Date.

Got it too. Is this going to be wallet-wrenching?

Their wines are reasonable. Expect very little increase, if any

We just visited the winery this past week. Great facility. It’s very surreal to look at the various wines in tank, Maybach, Pulido-walker,Saunter, There’s a lot going on at Mending Wall, with the various TRB wines being made here.

We sampled the 2012 Cabernet, 2012 Petite Syrah and the 2013 SB.

The 12 CS was luscious, smooth with loads of dark fruit. The 2012 Cab has more valley fruit in this blend and you could tell as the tannins were more integrated than of mountain fruit. The 2013 CS will have a different blend than the 2012. Unsure of the source.

They did state that they really did not send out an email for the 12’ but we were able to purchase some.

Now I gotta gear up for the 13,

2013 has more St. Helena fruit in it.

I had a nice surprise when I was there, and found out that TRB took over QTR. The 2012 is bad a$$ (made by Melka), and looks like it’s only going to get better. He said the vineyards were a little rough, so I’m pumped to see where this project goes.

Offer is live.

CS- $85
PS - $55
SB - $35

Thoughts? How good is this stuff?

No email here yet? I went to the site, but I didn’t see anyway to order.

Huge QPR. I haven’t had the new vintages yet, but last years were excellent. The PS was my favorite last year. I grabbed Cab for now, but I’ll go back for the others later. My last trip to Napa wasn’t cheap…(just paid the bill too, [help.gif] )

I’m a sucker for Palisades Petite and am interested to see what TRB can do with it. Palisades is one of those charmed sites in California, IMO.

Intrigued on the white….LOVE me some SB blended with Semillon! Went for 6 of those…passed on the others…don’t really want to spend the money on Calif Cabs and PS like I use to.

this stuff could taste half as good as his other efforts, but the simple fact that they take amex makes it all worth it. it’s the small things in life…

I’m in for 3 bottles of the Cab. I’m a sucker for TRB wines.

Have any of the wines/vintages been reviewed yet? I can’t find anything

Bit on a 3pk of the P.S. Should be fun to try

I’m not sure they will be rated.