Memorial Day trip to Willamette

Thanks again everyone for the feedback.

Another question. Assuming I go with Bob’s idea for Saturday:

You could go into Carlton and spend the entire day within a few hundred yards. Ken Wright, Scott Paul, Solena, Seven of Hearts (shameless plug), Wild Aire, Noble Pig, J. Wrigley and the 10 or 12 producers at the Carlton Winemakers Studio. That’s just the places where they make pinot noir. Then there are Tyrus Evan, Troon, Folin, Cana’s Feast and the rest of the Bordeaux/Rhone producers.

and Brick House, P. Green, Beaux Freres and Penner-Ash on Sunday (or vice versa), what lunch places should we be targeting. Could be either dine-in or something where we could pick up a picnic lunch in the AM for consumption at one of the wineries. Thoughts?

In Carlton, Cana’s Feast gets rave reviews on some fronts and will likely be packed. Cuvee isn’t normally open for lunch and I don’t know if they’ll open over that weekend because of the crowds. Horse Radish gets crowds but I have no clue about the food and they’re right next door to us. There’s a deli I haven’t a clue about and I believe it’s takeout only.

Outside of Carlton, there’s the Ponzi Bistro in Dundee but it will likely be packed and difficult to get to unless you go in and out of Dundee over Worden Hill Road (easy to do from Penner-Ash). Ditto Lumpy’s and whatever has opened since the last time I was in town (two years). Martha’s Tacos in Lafayette. Burgerville and other fast food in Newberg along with a Shari’s (kinda like Denny’s). Panaderia y Taqueria Gonzalez in Newberg. A bunch of places in McMinnville including Todd and Caroline Hamina’s tasting room/dining room but like the Bistro, they’ll probably be crowded with long waits.

Best bet is probably to pick up some bread, cured pork product and cheese in Portland and bring it with you.

You can call me 503-737-9703, and I’ll tell you if we are slammed. Have fun!

Thanks guys.

Weather looking dicey at best. Rain and a bit cool - should keep crowds away at least. Not a super robust itinerary so we may just take it easy and even hit a spa or something one morning. Dinner reservations made at Palmer House (which I’ve been to before and enjoyed) as well as at Jory (looking forward to it - good word of mouth).

[rofl.gif]

This is Oregon. A little rain doesn’t stop anything. In fact, it’s an excuse to drink.

Yeah, if anything, last weekend’s decent weather kept people away. With rain this week and weekend, I’m guessing people will be crowding around the tasting rooms instead of going on picnics.

If you’re going to spend some time around Salem (which I recommend) with Evesham Wood and St Innocent, I would add Cristom and Bethel Heights to your list.

And as others have said, check-out Eyrie in McMinnville. Over Memorial Day weekend they will be pouring the 1985 and 1999 South Block Pinot noir. As my invite says, “For the first time in 30 years, we will be showing off a few of David Lett’s South Block Pinot noirs…”

The 1975 South Block put Oregon on the map at the 1979 Gault-Milleau Wine Olympics in Paris when it placed 3rd against the top Burgundies. The following year, at a rematch tasting in Beaune, the '75 South Block came in 2nd to Drouhin’s 1959 Chambolle-Musigny. South Block juice comes from some historic vines, and tastings are extremely rare.

Just looked at the Oregonian’s winery guide that came out this morning. A notoriously inaccurate map got more inaccurate this year with the proliferation of new wineries. Elk Cove, for example, is said to be in the middle of one of their remote vineyard.

Visitors beware.

PS - Congratulations to our own Vincent Fritzsche for the ink his 2009 Eola-Amity pinot got in the guide. It was named as one of four “outrageously inexpensive” wines recommended by the panel.

I’ve been out for several Memorial Day or Thanksgiving weekends and am familiar with the major players. I’d love some ideas on the little places that never get any mention.

I’m planning on going way south to Amalie Robert. Is there anything else in that area worth visiting? Maybe Illahe?

Any of the places near J.K. Carriere or Carabella?

I’m open to all suggestions!

Thanks!

Robert

Vitae Springs. Tiny place with wonderful Rieslings, Pinot and Gruner Veltliner. At Cubanismo the wine is just ok but the scene is something else - lots of Cuban guys in pork-pie hats, and salsa dancing. Tyee has great QPR wines and is a pretty spot, nice people also.

Vitae Springs. Tiny place with wonderful Rieslings, Pinot and Gruner Veltliner. At Cubanismo the wine is just ok but the scene is something else - lots of Cuban guys in pork-pie hats, and salsa dancing. Tyee has great QPR wines and is a pretty spot, nice people also.

I’ll add Vitae Springs to my list for the Rieslings. Think I’ll skip the guys with the funny hats.

Robert

Way to go Vincent! [cheers.gif]

Robert, on your way to/from Amalie Robert, Johan is worth a stop.