Mea Culpa - I was mean so let's do something useful . .Good wine under $10 for newbies, and oldbies

We swim in these waters fairly regularly… Some re-buys in recent months:

2013 Herencia Altes Garnatxa Negra Terra Alta
2011/2 Espelt Garnacha Empordà Old Vines
NV Espiral Vinho Verde ($4.49 at TJ’s…a great cheap wine for summertime)

At various times in the past, we’ve enjoyed most of the garnachas mentioned above (my wife, especially, is a fan of the category) as well as the La Vieille Ferme (white, and sometimes rosé). Château Le Cacheflo is our friends’ house red, and it is a crowd-pleaser.

Very much agree here. A little over $10 on sale but the Whitehaven at $11 is another good one.

My wife likes it but the RS is overwhelming for me.

About the same price, I’ll take (and did, last night) Jo Landon’s Amphibolite.

$10 is pretty slim pickens, agreed, but ~$13ish opens up more possibilities, including Guion’s entry level red.

Some great ideas here. I am interested cos I usually take a red wine to the Hutterite colony near Milk River…wrapped in a newspaper of course . Good exchange for a couple of sausages!!

Y’all have hit most of the wines I would have recommended. :confused:

I particularly liked the l’Oupia “Les Heretiques” Carignan. The local liquor store had the Catena “Alamos” red blend on sale for $2.99/btl a while back. I was pleasantly surprised (similar to the “Patriota” red blend).

My quest while working at a wine and gourmet food shop was to find the perfect $5.00 wine. Nowadays, it’s a greater challenge, though the so-called “winners” are around the same price today:
• Rene Barbier Mediterranean Red
• Gallo “Hearty Burgundy”
• Beringer “Chenin Blanc” (pear water)
Discontinued:
• Torres “Sangre de Toro” (free plastic bull!)
• Osborne “Solaz” Tempranillo/Cab Sauv

I am certain that I have forgotten some great values but, even today, Spain reigns supreme for value IMHO.

Finished off a bottle of this last night :

2015 Domaine Lafage Vin de Pays des Côtes Catalanes Côte Est

And at $9.50 a btl is a pretty solid summer sipper.

Château Pesquié Ventoux Terrasses. Just under $10 including tax on sale here. I bought a case of (I think) the 2013.

I’d like to add my Veleta wines to the mix.
While some are in the $18 and under range (my most expensive runs around $30), most fall in the $10 +/- range. Estate grown, cellar aged and bottled on premise. So, if any newbies ( or anyone else) want to explore them let me know! newhere

Chateau de Campuget (a good value producer all around) makes an lovely rose with character that’s widely available for $10. Highly recommended.

<$10 is way more fun than <$15 - it’s an order of magnitude more challenging. :slight_smile:

I tend to veer straight for Spain, especially for Verdejo and Viura based whites. Marques de Riscal Rueda ($8) and Bodegas Puelles Rioja Blanco ($9-10) offer decent complexity and good quaffability.

Good red under $10 is a bit harder; Campo Viejo Rioja is not bad (K&L is stocking at $8 right now), and i’ve had a decent $10 CdR recently at a bbq (but name escapes me).

Biker truant zin
Faustino VII

Both under $10

Having read through this thread, the hands down winner has to be Pepiere Muscadet, but can one really find any such bottling for $10 or less?

Kermit Lynch brings in the wines of Elvio Tintero, located in Piedmont. The emphasis is on Moscato, but I would happily drink the Rosso, Bianco and Rosato any time. They are all clean, pure and fresh, and all are about $8. They work beautifully at the table with their bright acids.

Jean Claude Debeaune Special Selection Cabernet Sauvignon $9.99

Agree on the Campuget Rose but its now $10.99 in Ohio. Just had A Cameron Hughes 2011 Riesling chenin blend that was kickass for $6. The Campo de Borgia always perforns at $7. Tres Ojos will also Qualify. also plenty of s friends av blanc from NZ.

I agree with this pick 100%. This is sold as a loss leader/eye catcher window display wine at my local, mom-n-pop wine shop, but it delivers ridiculous value at the price if one isn’t too snobby.