Masters Champions Dinner - Patrick Reed's Picks

Doesn’t seem too bad to me. A little down the fairway… but not terrible.

Curious, what menu would people here create? There also may be chef limitations as to what they can cook, and cook well. Maybe I’m wrong, do not know the setup at Augusta. However, doubt they are well versed in all cuisines.

The wine selections though, I agree, needs improvement.

Interesting to look at past menus online. Not surprisingly, Bubba’s was the worst (plain grilled chicken and confetti cake dessert). He even ran back the exact same menu for his second one. Patrick’s menu looks much better.

Speith and Willett both served Caymus SS. Phil did Silver Oak.

Adam Scott looks to have done the best in recent memory.

Vijay Singh served ‘82 Lafite in 2001. Bernhard Langer ‘70 Latour in ‘94.

Let’s not lump Montelena Chardonnay in with Caymus. It’s an excellent, ageworthy, balanced wine. Consistently one of California’s best chardonnays.

You guys are acting like he picked Rombauer.

Well, he did pick the Rombauer of Cabs. Agreed though on Montelena Chardonnay.

That’s rad. Respect. I’d be tempted to do fried chicken and a vertical of vintage Krug.

As a guy from San Antonio, I can speak confidently on this topic. If he wanted a wine that tastes like it’s from San Antonio, it needs to say “SANGRIA” on the front of it, and it needs to be poured over a frozen margarita.

Thank you Chris.

I wouldn’t turn down an invite to that dinner even if I had to drink Caymus.

I didn’t believe you until I googled it.

He served '05 Grange. My word.

With what has happened to prices in the last 20-25 years, I highly doubt '82 Lafite (or any other first growths for that matter) would be served in volume to a crowd these days, even for the admittedly extremely well-heeled Augusta National.

I find Caymus totally undrinkable, but someone served me Rombauer Chardonnay a couple months ago and I was surprised. It’s oaky and ripe, but not hideous.

Yak palate.

I was just there for the Tuesday practice round and stayed for dinner and overnight. Drank much better than that. Reed may need to win a few more.

[wow.gif]

Dang I was there Monday. We could have had a drink Monday night!

I’m in a Tuscany mood today so I’m going with:

Burrata and Mozzarella with EVOO – 2015 Antinori ‘Badia a Passignano’ Chianti Classico Gran Selezione
Pappardelle with wild Tuscan Boar Ragu – 2013 Tignanello
Bistecca alla Fiorentina – 2010 Solaia
Panna cotta with fresh berries – Antinori Vin Santo

Because I am cheap, I would have my people contact Antinori’s importer to have the wine comped in exchange for some free advertising. A couple of tweets or some sort of similar nonsense.

Does this mean that your tip is Francesco Molinari?

I went with a Mormon (Billy Casper) and his son-in-law and one grandson. No alcohol at all when we ate in the clubhouse. But that’s OK because the course is frigging awesome.

Maybe he meant

Napa Mountain Cab

Trout Gulch Chard Available by Request :grinning:

Jason T wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:09 am
Well, he did pick the Rombauer of Cabs.
I find Caymus totally undrinkable, but someone served me Rombauer Chardonnay a couple months ago and I was surprised. It’s oaky and ripe, but not hideous.

I agree it is drinkable but I have recently purchased the following Chards for less in the last few months.
2015 Liquid Farm Chardonnay La Hermana (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley)
2015 Brewer-Clifton Chardonnay Sta. Rita Hills (USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills)
2013 Talley Vineyards Chardonnay Rincon Vineyard (USA, California, Central Coast, Arroyo Grande Valley)
2016 Dusted Valley Vintners Chardonnay Olsen Vineyard (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Yakima Valley)

Who could have known that there would be better value wines than one judged “not hideous?”