Margaritas for a Crowd

Tres Agaves mix isn’t bad.

Just to be clear, I have never used Tommy’s Margarita Mix. There’s a take on a margarita called a Tommy’s Margarita which is:
2 oz tequila
1 oz lime juice
1/2 oz agave nectar

Blender pitcher
Can of frozen Limeade. 12 oz???
3/4-1 limeade can Of tequila
Can of beer like carona
Touch of orange liqueur
Blend

During my sophomore year of college we had about 20 buddies all living in the same, brand new apartment complex. 3 story rectangle with all apartments overlooking a huge interior courtyard. We had multiple rooms on every level. When we had big parties, my apartment was responsible for churning out massive amounts of frozen margaritas. Our recipe?

Blender pitcher
Can of frozen generic brand limeade
1-1.5 can of vodka from a plastic handle
(1 bottle of Sol beer if we had extra money)
.5 can of water
.5 can of orange juice
Ice to fill
Blend

If they tasted a little too tart or boozy, add a sprinkling of powdered sugar, pulse to thoroughly mix.

They were absolute smash hits every time.

And importantly, ladies and gentlemen, no one ever died of scurvy at one of my parties.

As someone that I respect, your recipe distresses me greatly. You used VODKA in a margarita???

The vodka thing is a little off but otherwise it’s a go.

You see where it says 19 years old? I was working first as a telemarketer, then as a paid intern at the State Capitol. Not a lot of money. Cheap vodka is way cheaper than cheap tequila, and less offensive when mixed with limeade. I don’t do that now, but a handle of Kamchatka was like $10, and a handle of Absolut was like $22. A handle of Cuervo Gold, which is absolute trash, was like $30-something. Actual enjoyable tequila was out of our price range, but vodka that we could mostly hide was very much not.

I’ve seriously never heard of beer in a margarita? Is this a real thing or a college thing?

reading that recipe, im not sure the end product can be called a margarita.

(doesn’t mean it’s bad though)

From my local Mexican restaurant. Great margaritas!

“Original” Margarita From Tequila Mockingbird
Creator, owner and chef Paul Mauk says the key to his signature Margarita is to keep it simple.

3 parts Herradura Blanco
2 parts Stirrings (an all-natural no dye Triple Sec)
2 parts fresh-squeezed lime juice
Directions:

Mix the Herradura, Stirrings and lime juice and either shake or pour over ice. Gillespie says that the “Original” is so popular that he is constantly making up fresh batches to pour into their 10-ounce margarita glasses. The “Original” goes down so easy that a few too many people have been known to drink themselves silly, as each drink is the equivalent of three normal cocktails.

3 parts Blanco tequila
2 parts triple Sec
2 parts store bought Marg mix
3+ parts fresh lime juice.

My go to recipe.

It’s called a Mexican Bulldog. But it’s basically a frozen margarita with a small beer (7oz) put in upside down.

This is my buddy’s recipe but he insists on Patron Silver, Cointreau and Jose Cuervo basic margarita mix. Strong but damn tasty.

I’d think all the margarita mix is adding is sweetness, why not just use simple syrup to taste and keep it all natural? I like mine on the tart side so I use a bit less sugar and Grand Mariner.