Maison Ilan 2014 "Sneak Peak" Offer

Seems that the old saying applies here.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

This is a useless argument for virtually everyone. You can use it to dismiss almost any wine in Burgundy.

that is not an argument, but an observation. my argument would be you could buy comparable wines from long established producers state side at similar price points from many fine retailers.

The point is that virtually no one has that opportunity. Rousseau at cellar door price is a gift. What do you think the overlap is between direct Rousseau customers and Maison Ilan customers? Maybe three? Most people here see Rousseau Chambertin priced at $1200. Maybe some see it at $600.

I count 37 barrels, adjusted EU for $$, ran with a 22 case /barrel yield and come up with about $1.5MM in revenues.

Have to admit…shocked by the scale…

“Peak”
Are you serious?

Ha, I hadn’t noticed. The email has it spelled correctly in the subject but incorrectly near the top of the mail.

I’m very surprised by the 2014 prices.

First, I understood that the vintage had been much more generous than 11/12/13, so was expecting prices to remain more or less the same - maybe small increase since, you know, it’s Bourgogne…

Second, I’m not sure about US prices but I can find many good producers with a proven track record that propose Morey 1er Cru or Volnay 1er Cru at much lower prices. I simply cannot understand why you’d be paying these prices at the moment, unless you’ve tasted his previous vintages and feel in love with them or something.

I mean, I paid less than 50€ two weeks ago for a David Duband MSD 1er Cru Clos Sorbè 2010. Now, you may or may not like the style or what he did with the Truchot wineyard, but the guy knows his stuff. I’ll buy 2 MSD from Duband over 1 from Ray Walker any day of the week…

Alain

I think Jon brings up valid questions. This is Berserkerdom, after all.

If you want to hear hand-clapping for your overpriced, ill advised wine purchases, this is the site for you: https://www.erobertparker.com/entrance.aspx

Trustworthy words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not trustworthy.

Where is the ugliness ?

[inquisition.gif]

I didn’t get an offer!

newhere

champagne.gif

Losing the direct to consumer model certainly would play into an increase in addition to more demand for the grapes one would think.

Once the 2012s are accounted for, sailing should go smoother for MI as long as they can sell the story and the wines.