Mailing List Good and Bad Deals

we live near napa/sonoma so frequent visits makes up for ridiculous price of club. but agreed, if we ever move out… not worth it any more.

Schramsberg is one of the few clubs I belong to. Free tastings for two which normally cost $75 ea. Four shipments a year but only 2-3 bottles ea. There is a good discount and no shipping charge, and it’s not easy to find most of the bottles you receive. The last shipment I got was for 2013 Marin County Rose and Carneros Jones Vineyard Brut for $62 ea and no shipping.

I am on more than two dozen lists but in exactly two clubs - Loring and Eric Kent. Loring is because it is close enough to get value from the tastings and other club benefits, and I love Brian. Eric Kent because I really like Kent’s wine, but more importantly, before the allocation closes, you can select what wines/quantities you want, and even zero if you really want. So, it is really more a list than a club.

And most of the lists provide access to wines that are not widely available (or available elsewhere at all). Even in the case of KB or Williams Selyem where the Appalachian wines can be found at retail, the more obscure SVD designated wines can only be bought this way.

The best part is I would not have found most of these wines if not for WB (or that obscure Board that shall not be named…).

No worries; use the helipad for pickup

I’m in a few clubs:

B Cellars to get access to their great Beckstoffer wines and club discount. They do regular club shipments, I think they have a 1x and 2x option, so usually 3 or 6 bottles and I can add to the mix, which I will usually do for the Beckstoffer releases. I like all of their wines so the club thing works for me.

A couple in Walla Walla that we enjoy and like visiting the vineyards when we’re there: Va Piano and Spring Valley. Their wines are reasonably priced and their club shipments are usually just a few bottles so it’s convenient just to have them come and keep a steady supply. Also, there are lots of special offers which are nice to stock up. Gorman in Woodinville is similar. Great value!

Another Napa club I like is Anderson’s Conn Valley Vineyard because of the large variety of options. The Eloge and Right Bank provide a nice variety from Napa Cabs. I also like their multi levels of Cabs. I think their Napa and Reserve are good values, very tasty and ready to drink early. You can get their wines for similar prices retail but some of their club offers get these wines to a very nice price point.

Like Lee (who I know, but didn’t know was on the list) I often buy from Vincent. It is the only regular winery direct list I buy. The wines are great, the prices are great, there is no minimum or allocation, and if you buy enough you can get discounted or free shipping.

Some of the wines are available later at Vinopolis, etc at a discount to his ‘retail’ pricing but they are still well above the pre release pricing.

I’m on 4 lists and get a good selection of wine from them including Ayoub, Soter, Casa Dumetz, and Tablas Creek, and Ridge Montebello.

+1. I can’t find these wines at retail in MA and Vincent provides a good discount on pricing that is already more than fair. Speaking of Vincent, I need to take a closer look at the 2017 SV pinot offering email I got earlier this week!