Magnums are sexy

Jay Hack agrees! Christine has doubts.

Did you buy this at the winery? I don’t recall seeing Rochioli mags before.

Thanks, Tom

A quick check shows me as having 17 mags & 2 are pending delivery (well one’s @ Glenn’s house). I love them for the ability to actually keep me from opening the bottle to let it age. I’m less tempted to open Mags. They’re great @ weddings…I have three to attend this year. So I’ll probably have about 12 mags left at the end of this year.

Damn!!! I just checked, and including bottles on the way, I’m sitting at close to 70!!! :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

This is why crawl spaces were invented!

It was donated by the winery to the local Fire Dept as part of a charity auction.

I love big bottles, I cannot lie…

Just checked CT and I have 144 mags and 6 3L. I open them. Many are champagne, the perfect size, when you have more than 4 people and hands down better for aging.

Bought a silly vinotemp 46 dual zone recently for some side storage in the kitchen, there is one tray that regular mags fit in, very pleasantly surprised.

The bottom of my 36 bottle Danby fridges can hold 2 magnums in place of 3 regular 750ml bottles. 4 Danby x 2 mags each = 8 magnums, which is about all I’ll probably ever have at one time. Besides, if necessary I can fit a magnum at the end of each top rack so that’s 4 more. Seeing as there will never be more than 500 bottles in my cellar, there’s no worries about magnums for me. I’m no ballah.

We once ordered a riesling mag for a friend’s going-away party and picked up a matching 375ml bottle to keep as a memento. We found it very amusing to see those two sitting side by side.

CT tells me that’s the only magnum I’ve ever purchased…we haven’t done enough big dinners in recent years to really make good use of them, and storage limitations have been an issue as well. I’d usually prefer to have two 750s than pay the premium for a big bottle anyway.

due to the height of Riesling magnums I find especially difficult to fit into wine fridges than the wide champagne magnums.

They’re hard to stick in a regular fridge too!

Riesling are really age worthy wines, I think if they redesigned their bottles (which prob will never happen) more ppl will be willing to buy them more.

Tom Stevenson has an article in “The World of Fine Wine” where he compares the same wine in bottles and magnums. He also discusses the theory of why sparklers age better in magnums, especially before disgorgement.

Love mags!
Even with storage issues and ocassions to open them. It is always a special time when a sexy mag is opened.

• another!

They taste good just looking at them!

Amateurs!. We did a 12 Liter at the first Berserkerfest in New York. It took two days to finish it. Professor - do you have the photos of that?

12L of yellowtail ?

Taittinger NV, IIRC.