Madrid, San Sebastián, Bordeaux

The chateau at Pichon Lalande taken from Pichon Baron property
IMG_8468.jpg

Nice! Thanks for the update too on the San Sebastian restaurants. Beautiful drinking and great pics.

1 Like

I’m on a plane back from a few days in Madrid (we also spent time in Lisbon, Porto, Seville, and Barcelona). We had two superb meals in Madrid. The highlight was Rocacho, where we had outrageously good steak–a 90-day aged old working cow, cooked rare and just insanely flavorful. They also served the best paella of the trip, some supid good cured beef, and delicious wine. A couple nights prior, we ate at Barril de la Cortes (right around the corner from the Four Seasons, which was a tip-top hotel experience), which had the freshest of seafood, prepared with a light touch. A tourist meal at Sabrino de Botin (reputedly the world’s oldest continuously operating restaurant) was fun and satisfying, if more for the experience than the food (kids loved it).

Jordan, I find your absence of any reference to Spanish wines interesting. Did you really find them to be not worthy of mention?

didn’t mention cause I didn’t drink any

Going to Rekondo in Fall for first time. Any tips for how to deal with the list? They won’t email in advance, which I assume means no decanting in advance etc. Nor am I experienced enough to cut through a list in ten minutes! Is the list better for older Spanish stuff (e.g., 40s, 60s 80s Rioja), Burgundy/Rhone, or something else?

Sadly and kind of annoyingly there are a ton of wines on the list that aren’t for sale

I arrived 20 minutes early just to get a head start on the list

I drank the 13 Raveneau Blanchot pictured above for 260euro

1 Like

It is crammed with hundreds if not thousands of selections. There were a few that are out of stock or you need Grandpa’s permission to buy the very rare ones. 14 Raveneau Le Clos was 300 /euro. A 1968 Rioja Alta 409 Riserva was 290 euro. Phenomenal list.

2 Likes