Madeira newbie, looking for advice

Burgundy styled bottle with broken lettering? That’s what the JCA looks like. I haven’t tasted it, nor the 1720 Pather. I have had the 1760 Borges Terrantez. The last bottle of the JCA that I know of for sale went for $39,000.00!

Since I wasn’t there in the tasting, I didn’t take a bottle pic meself. However, managed to snag a pic from this friend’s FB wall. Does this one look right?
1715andstuff.jpg

Bottle on the far right? Hard to tell from the photo. Christies auction catalog from the end of 2016 in New York has a photo.

Doesn’t seem to be the same bottle, as the Christie’s catalogue bottle is much cleaner, but the bottle shape, wax and the stencil letters do match.

Also, I remember him paying thousands of €s for it, but not tens of thousands.

Here’s a close-up on the final four bottles.
Screenshot_20201130-014056__01.jpg

This bottle of 1795 Barbeito Terrantez, generously brought by Saul Cooperstein to a crazy dinner in 2012 (blind steaks from all over the world), is on my life list.
9BF60EEF-06AF-4B81-BFF4-9ECE6BF94767.jpeg

I just re-read the certification we got from the Herbfarm. It calls the 1795 the Oldest Wine in the World, then clarifies it as “oldest known wine being offered by the glass”.

Frankly, I couldn’t care less about that triviality. It was freaking excellent, and I’m glad I had the opportunity to drink it. I can’t imagine a life where I could afford to actually own (and drink) an entire bottle.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Just 10 years ago, the 1715 JCA was well under $10,000. The 1795 Barbeito Terrantez was under $1,000.00. Madeira, and especially old Terrantez, has really escalated in price.

Otto, on that close up photo, the 1842 was likely a Borges bottling, another famous Borges Terrantez. The saying on the label is an old Madeiran one, “The grapes of Terrantez are not for eating, nor to give them away, but for wine as god created them.”