MacDonald | Beta/Jasud | Sandlands | Maître de Chai Wine and now...TIDINGSs! UPDATE FOR A TASTING NOTE!

sounds outstanding!

I drank a bottle of the cabernet over two days. A lot of the interesting aromas closed up a little bit after the pop so I can’t recommend any of the crazy long decants that have been mentioned. But I liked the wine a lot. There were botanical and sassafras scents that kind of came across like a more exotic take on the cola thing that shows up in Sonoma pinots. Those were among the things that were most expressive in the beginning. The fruit was very pure and the texture gentle, satiny, and refined. Pretty classy. (Classy label too - now that’s how you pay respect to what you’re doing.) I wouldn’t exactly call it a value at $90 a bottle, but it’s impressive for a debut vintage and I’ll enjoy watching what else the winery does.

2 Likes

Which wine/vintage?

Tom this thread focuses on TIDINGS, a new project. Only one cab has been released the 2019 Moonridge Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon. Lots of info up thread on the background.

1 Like

I threw half a bottle of Bien Nacido in to a decanter and drank it between hours 2-4. It is fantastic stuff. Will definitely improve with age, but I wanted to get a sense of Reid’s style.

I’ll make more of an effort to draft a tasting note tonight. But man does this have a lovely nose. Spent a lot of my two hours with my nose in the glass. Think floral (white flowers), sweet berries (almost strawberry) and some spices / tapenade. Really compelling.

Otherwise it’s a wonderfully balanced and enjoyable wine on the palate, really good stuff.

5 Likes

Brought this to a Domaine tasting and everyone commented on how gorgeous the nose is. Obviously young but held up beautifully over the evening. 12.8 ABV!

• 2020 Tidings Syrah Bien Nacido Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (2/3/2024)
    Decanted for an hour, back to bottle for 4, then followed for another 3-4h. 12.8 ABV.

Gorgeous nose of red fruits and violet florals. Palate has gorgeous cool climate mixed berry underpinned by violets and lilac, can tell there is savory down there too. Elegant and ethereal. Medium-light and floral in style. Plenty of pure fruit and power but so balanced. Structure is pretty large for Syrah and finish is very long. 94+, should’ve bought a case. Cellar for 10-15 years no problem. (94 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

6 Likes

Thanks so much for the wonderful note. I am really happy you like it.

1 Like

Have had the bien nacido and the white hawk and they are both excellent. The common denominator with both is the intoxicating nose. Buying the next release will be an easy decision.

I haven’t tried the cab yet, but since Alfert blessed it, I’m not too concerned.

1 Like

Which would you say is more savory?

1 Like

I’d say they both have savory elements to them but the bien nacido with its mineral/saline streak would be my answer. Neither is as savory as Halcon (Paul Gordon era).

2 Likes

The Bien Nacido Syrah is very clearly at the beginning of a very long journey (if you allow it), but it’s great. Impressive. I’ll be buying more next release.

Tasted the '21 White Hawk late last year. It’s definitely made in a more elegant/less extracted mold; the aromatics were the highpoint at the time, but I think the palate will become very pretty with some time.

Maybe I am overthinking it because I know, but the Gonon influence does seem to run through all of his wines.

Really happy the wines are being well received.

I’ve been remiss in posting a TN, but the '20 White Hawk Syrah I had to celebrate the end of Dry January was excellent.

My only advice is to give it plenty of air to let it properly unfurl.

2 Likes

I (ok, more so my wife) also noticed there was fine sediment in our pours towards the second half of the bottle, so I recommend standing it up ahead of time and decanting off the sediment.

• 2019 Tidings Cabernet Sauvignon Moonridge - USA, California, Sonoma County, Moon Mountain District (3/31/2024)
    Brought to a dinner. Decanted off sediment for 30min, back to bottle, then into a decanter at dinner. Followed for a few hours. Moonridge Vineyard on Moon Mountain, 14.2 ABV.

Immediately on PnP (from the dregs) was an incredible nose of cool blue fruit, eucalyptus, mountain shrub. Palate was effervescent blueberries and florals. Structure was very large on opening, a wall of tannins where just a little bit was poking through met with balanced acidity. Finish was very powerful and long. At dinner it was quiet initially but an hour or so later it woke up again showing big structure and intoxicating aromas. Not much oak influence here (huge plus for me).

Gorgeous mountain wine. Elegant purity of fruit without being overdone. Would never call this valley floor but also wouldn't call it Purity of mountain fruit, balanced extraction, elegant.

Will benefit substantially from time on its side. I'd recommend a 1h decant then another 6-8h back to bottle with the cork on to trap the aromatics. 93-94 for now, could be 95 with time. Quite the debut wine from Reid! (94 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

7 Likes

There’s 2 of these for sale in Commerce Center, fyi.

1 Like

I had the Bien Nacido over the weekend, and I agree with your comments. Really strong. I thought it was better than the White Hawk. I have not yet had the Tidings Cab but am excited to give it a try.

2 Likes

I see Roy Piper reviews the upcoming TIDINGS 2021s in his new issue of the Vintner Gazette. He says Reid is making a Laurel Glen Cab starting this year. Can’t wait to see what Reid can do with that fruit.

I just opened the 2019 Tidings Cab from Moon Mountain this past weekend….beautiful wine. Wish I could have snagged more upon release.

3 Likes

So happy you liked the Tidings. There are two for sale on commerce corner:

1 Like